Author Topic: Cowl and firewall blending  (Read 3022 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Cowl and firewall blending
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »
About to paint the firewall and my painter is asking how it should be blended with the body color of the cowl.  I assumed the body color would be oversprayed on the black firewall, but I've seen a few pictures where it appears that transition was masked with a clean line of demarcation.  Hard to believe they took time to mask at the factory.  Which is correct?

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Cowl and firewall blending
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
Body was first painted body color. The firewall was painted later. Some plants, such as Flint, masked off the body trim tag on the cowl, leaving it bare metal.
The firewalls on my cars were all flat black. The other sheetmetal parts were a semi gloss.

Here's a fascinating web page on the process's used on the Camaro's back in the day. Our A-bodies didn't necessarily get the exact same process, but much is similar.
http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
Hope I'm not adding confusion here but.....
Here are pictures of my 65 firewalls, both Kansas car's built about two months apart. I restored one and hope to start on the second car next week. Notice the runs in the firewall paint in the area of the trim tags. I went to great effort to not sand off the original runs on the restored car, the firewall was unmolested when I started, I cleaned it with mineral spirits and painted it. The firewall on the second car appears to be unmolested.
OK, back to the runs, I find them interesting because they flow in an upward direction leading me to believe the body was up side down when painted. Just a thought, one of those observations that keeps me up at night thinking, how did they do that. So I'm suggesting or speculating the already painted fenders and cowl vent were installed sometime after the firewall paint dried and the car was turned right-side up.       
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Here's the unrestored pix.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
This is a Flint car, and we had primed over the trim tag.  So my painter hit it with some lacquer thinner and it didn't touch it.  He thinks the firewall black was baked on.  To remove it would require a wire brush with lacquer thinner and a big mess.  So, it will get painted black with the rest of the firewall.  By the way, he uses lacquer on the firewall to get the right gloss.

Looks like someone got lazy in the paint booth in Flint 50 years ago!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Heres a twist.  Back in mid 60's when I was just 15 and custom painting motorcycle gas tanks and side covers... I would apply a heavy thick 'splotch' of lacquer, then with an air gun, BLOW air directly 'AT' the heavy painted splotch to make a SPLASH LOOK...  was quite popular back then. Anyway, could it be that IF the firewall was painted satin black then a blast of air to assist in rapid curing for production purposes, could possibly push some of the heavier paint upwards?  So, like those 'runs' appear running UP??

Thinking out loud here since I've never seen ANY pix of a production line where cars were assembled upside down...
Just a thot.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:22:38 AM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »
Now I'm going to have to start looking at firewalls for upside down runs.  :dontknow:

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »
At least 2 of my cars have firewall runs that go up.
Maybe the firewall and the underside of the car was painted black at the same time, floor side up for the application.

For firewall paint prep, I just scrub it down with a scotch brite pad and detergent. That will preserve the runs and sealer.
I prefer an epoxy or urethane paint for durability.

I believe Canadian-built cars had the firewall painted body color?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:10 AM »
I don't know if there were any '65 Gran Sports built in Canada.
My information is of only US production of the 15,780 cars built in '65.

Loren

65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »
Is it possible this portion of the body was painted prior to leaving Fisher Body on it's way to the GM assembly plant across the street? 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »
Loren,
  There was a Bamboo Cream 65 GS in the BCA years ago when I was at the Richmond, VA BCA meet in either 99 or 2000 (whichever year it was in Richmond).  It was a Canada built car and the underside of the hood and the firewall were painted body color.  I think the owners may have also been in the AACA because I saw it at another show as well.  If I am not mistaken, it was a convertible with a white top. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Canadian mid-60s Buicks? (Was: Cowl and firewall blending)
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Dear Brian and mid-60s Buick fans that could be "North of da' border" . . . .

There was a Bamboo Cream 65 GS in the BCA years ago

. . .

It was a Canada built car and the underside of the hood and the firewall were painted body color. 

Hmm, very interesting.  The "junior Buick" of the house (a 2000 Buick Century) is a Montreal built car.  I understood that GM was building similar cars for Canada and the United States as far back as the 1960s, but in those days, cars were strictly intended for their respective country.

Did Buick build a Canadian version of the GS?  Anybody know?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Canadian mid-60s Buicks? (Was: Cowl and firewall blending)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »

[/quote]

Production figures from Buick dated September 2, 1965 show a total production of 15,780 Gran Sports being produced in four US plants.
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Interesting (Re: Canadian mid-60s Buicks?)
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »
Dear Loren and mid-60s paper trail detectives, . .

Did Buick build a Canadian version of the GS?

Production figures from Buick dated September 2, 1965 show a total production of 15,780 Gran Sports being produced in four US plants.

Thanks for the interesting document.  I would have expected the 1965 GS to have only been produced in the United States because it was a new market concept and Buick would have been cautious at first to see how the public reacted to that new concept.

So that leaves the mystery of what Brian saw.  I suppose it will remain that way until that car turns up again and someone can check the builder plates.

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Canadian mid-60s Buicks? (Was: Cowl and firewall blending)
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
Dear Brian and mid-60s Buick fans that could be "North of da' border" . . . .

[

Hmm, very interesting.  The "junior Buick" of the house (a 2000 Buick Century) is a Montreal built car.  I understood that GM was building similar cars for Canada and the United States as far back as the 1960s, but in those days, cars were strictly intended for their respective country.

Here's some interesting reading about Canada's automobile production back in the early 60's.

http://policyoptions.irpp.org/issues/kyoto/the-auto-pact-forerunner-of-free-trade-book-excerpt/

It is important to note a couple of things:

1 - New cars cost as much as 50% more in Canada as the exact same model did in America. This likely contributed to very few upper echelon cars being sold here. Most people could not afford anything more than basic transportation, ie Chevy's, Pontiac's, Ford's, Dodge's or Plymouth's. My father used to say Buick's Cadillac's, and Lincoln's were for doctors and lawyers, not working men like him.

2 - You saw some weird configurations up here, such as full sized (wide track) Pontiac's built on narrower Chevy frames and running Chevy engines.

3 - Buick and Oldsmobile kept their own engine/trans combos, but we just didn't see many in my neighborhood. My father did have two Oldsmobile's though, a 62 Super 88 and a 64 Dynamic 88.

4 - I have no idea if Buick built any 65 Gran Sports in Canada, but my gut felling is not likely. However, who knew for sure. Perhaps that Bamboo Cream convertible in question was imported by a Buick executive for his personal transportation and given Canadian provenance. Stranger things have been know to happen.... After all, Ford claimed they never built a Boss 302 with factory AC, until one surfaced a few years ago which was specially built by the Ford engineers for an executive who absolutely had to have one with AC.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.