Author Topic: New guy from east Tennessee  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Dr. Evil

• Buick Fan
New guy from east Tennessee
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
A member at another site recommended this place so here I am. I have a lot to learn about these cars.
My car background is in the late model stuff mostly. I've owned, modded and raced(autox, drags, track days) two C4 corvettes, three 4th gen F bodies and two 5th gen F bodies. My favorite car I ever owned was a 96 corvette LT4. Due to a growing family and wanting to get our son involved in the hobby as well as do something as a family I opted for an older car this time. You see a million Chevelles, 1st gen Camaros and mustangs at every car show or get together. I picked an early A body for good parts availability but didn't want to look like everyone else. Hence by 65 Buick.
I got a very complete car that has no rust issues at all. I have no way to prove it but I really believe it is an original 44k mile car that has had an amateur restoration. Its not a GS, the previous owner (a 91 y/o retired shop teacher) tried to make a GS clone out of it. I knew that going in though so its not an issue and I got the car for what I deem a fair price. Better still, my 10 year old son and wife love this car. I wont feel bad about modding it since its not a real GS but I do plan to keep a Buick motor under the hood. I just plan to give it a few modern updates.
I'll be on here from time to time and I hope I get to meet up with some car guys at some point. Having been a Chevy guy I used to joke about Mopar owners being a cult. I've found out since that is also true of Olds and Buick guys too  :evil6:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New guy from east Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
Welcome Dr! Keep us posted on the project! Have any pictures?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Welcome Dr. Evil .     
I,m pretty sure you will find any information you need here on your 65 . I believe theres a few guys on here that have done some nice updates also .
Good luck with the car .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
Dr,

Welcome to 65GS.com!
As you can see from my signature, the Chev's interest me as well.
A 65 Skylark is a rarity at most shows & cruise nights.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »
Always great to have a Dr. in the house. We love pictures here and please let us know where you are located.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:27:29 PM »
Welcome Doc!  I haven't read anything in your post that explains the Evil moniker.  Perhaps you feel that you've just moved to the Dark Side!  The good news is that we know more about these cars that others are in the dark about.  And we love new members and new cars to fawn over.  So, to reinforce what others have said, more info and pictures, please!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome! (Re: New guy from east Tennessee)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Dear Russ and 65GS.com welcome wagon . . . .

Welcome to 65GS.com!! . . .

I saw your postings on V-8 Buick and thought you really belonged here.  Glad you found your way!

Please do post some pictures of your car on this forum.

I'm planning to make a change to my trusty wagon that would parallel what is on your car , and I'm very interested to see what this crowd would think about it.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Dr. Evil

• Buick Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, heres a link to my google album with a few pics of my 65.
I also should note I am only a Dr of Evil. I got my nickname a long time ago on other boards from the Austin Powers movies. At the time I had a miata(mini me) a corvette(Dr Evil) and a truck(Fat Bastard). Plus, I usually keep my head either shaved or close to it.

https://goo.gl/photos/8FwM6z4KENUWEPVA9
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:22:14 AM by Dr. Evil »

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
Is that a 350? it is hard to tell from the picture.  It looks like a very nice ride.  Between us Dr.s - I have found it is far more enjoyable to make a lesser model how you want it then making a GS like it was. 

Offline RVA65GS

• Buick Nut
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
Cool car, Dr.
'65 GS 3 speed thin pilar

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing the pictures. (Re: New guy from east Tennessee)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
Dear Dr. and mid-60s Buick fans, . . .

Thanks for the warm welcome, heres a link to my google album with a few pics of my 65.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Your car is painted in a lighter color than the previous example of the "special feature" I'm interested in.  It gives me a better idea of the "surprise" I'm planning for my wagon.

Once more, Welcome!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Dr. Evil

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:59:49 AM »
Edouard,
I'm not sure what your wheel/tires plan is but I have added a set of 17x8s to mine. They're wearing 245/45/17 tires. Pics have been added to the album with the new setup.

For anyone wondering, BS was advertised at 4.5 but I measured it a bit closer to 4.7. I have no rubbing issues yet that I can tell but due to weather haven't driven extensively, only around the block a couple times. So far so good without issue though.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the tire info. (Re: New guy from east Tennessee)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Dear Dr. Evil and mid-60s Buick fans of "where the rubber meets the road,"

I'm not sure what your wheel/tires plan is but I have added a set of 17x8s to mine. They're wearing 245/45/17 tires. Pics have been added to the album with the new setup.

For anyone wondering, BS was advertised at 4.5 but I measured it a bit closer to 4.7. I have no rubbing issues yet that I can tell but due to weather haven't driven extensively, only around the block a couple times. So far so good without issue though.

Okay that's interesting!  I'm not ready to go all the way to 17 inch rims, but I definitely need more aggressive tires on my wagon than she's got now.  Right now I'm in the process of straightening out an issue with her fuel injection system, but eventually I'll have to return to the tire upgrade.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »
Welcome,  I belive I  just felt in love  with your car. I'm a newbie in the car world. My 65 Skylark  has brought this craving for knowledge  and ideas of how to keep him young.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk