Author Topic: SLOPPY shifter mecanicals  (Read 1670 times)

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
SLOPPY shifter mecanicals
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Hey Guys...Freshend up my original 65 GS T10, original handle & Muncie shifter. I am about ready to detail and install however, I've noticed the shifter is quite worn and sloppy. WHO do you recommend to rebuild these old shifters?  I have two that I would like to have rebuilt.

Thank Guys!

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: SLOPPY shifter mecanicals
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
I would like to buy one of those shifters if you were willing to sell.   

Tom
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Hey Guys...Freshend up my original 65 GS T10, original handle & Muncie shifter. I am about ready to detail and install however, I've noticed the shifter is quite worn and sloppy. WHO do you recommend to rebuild these old shifters?  I have two that I would like to have rebuilt.

Thank Guys!

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Hey Dennis,
There really is not much to that shifter. To "rebuild" it you can just take it all apart by pulling the large roll pin out of it. Clean or sandblast if necessary,put it all back together with a good quality grease between the plates and tighten up the housing by putting it in a clamp or vise so the plates are all squeezed together. You can do it yourself fairly quick and it still won't feel like a hurst  shifter when you are done,but it will be good as new. Dan

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
ThanX Dan...my only concern is I have looked closely at the shifter and the hole for the PIN you talk about is pretty much wallered out, thus allowing the PLATES to be wobbly... is there a 'cure' for that?   
Wobbly plates, compounded with wobbly rod linkages makes for a pretty loose shifter assembly at the lever...more loose than I really care for...
I've considered drilling out the hole and trying to locate a little larger PIN... just dont know if this a good idea er not...   :dontknow:
Your thoughts?
Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
I don't know if anybody sells "new " plates. I actually like your idea if it is that slopped out. You will have to find a larger hardened pin,drill everything to that size,and find a bushing to fit the 3/8 long bolt. You could go the opposite direction and use the current pin and find another pin that fits snug around it. Either way,you will accomplish the fix. I bet it is pretty loose if that pin sloppy now....I guess I did not understand the problem.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
If it's that bad, just get another shifter body.
I think the Muncie shifter is the same. I once bought a $10 swap meet shifter, no idea what it came off of, but it was a perfect match to the '65 GS shifter.
There are repo bodies available. Here's one from Lutty's:
http://www.luttyschevy.com/i-20831814-linkage-assembly-shift-gate.html

To repair yours, you could either weld up the hole in the body and resize it, or drill it oversize and install a bushing.
If the plates are also worn, you're getting into a lot of repair time.

Here's a pic of mine, disassembled and blasted.
The body is two pieces welded together, the weld must be cut to disassemble it completely.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
Thanks Walt,
I had a similar picture,but I could not find it. I see you still had the original handle mounting bolts and I was trying to find a pair,but I could not remember what they looked like.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
Some parts are available... here are some from a Corvette parts supplier.
There is a thicker interlock plate that is available to tighten up worn shifters. Looks like the shift levers may be the same ones used in our Buicks.
http://www.volvette.com/manual-shifter-misc.html?Per_Page=10&CatListingOffset=20&Offset=20&showallfacet=1&Sort_By=disp_order

I didn't see the handle mounting bolts yet. Maybe they're avail elsewhere.

BTW, the 'vette suppliers have a fair number of parts that will fit our Buicks. Zip, Ecklers, and Paragon are a few that come to mind.

edit 11/9/17, forgot the 'f' in shift!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:01:11 AM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal