Author Topic: 444675 4 speed restoration  (Read 21016 times)

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 444675 4 speed restoration
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 02:06:46 PM »
The cost of paint and bodywork really took the wind out of my sails.  When we started, I thought we'd redo the top and interior, scuff and shoot the body, and rebuild the mechanicals.  Then I'd be driving it.  Thankfully, the owner of Moslanders Rod and Custom new how important this car was to the family and in general and would not let me take the short cut.  This did mean however that I didn't really know what I was getting into from a cost perspective.  This means that the car sat painted with interior done for 7 years while I went motorcycle racing.  Everybody complained about the cost of motorcycle racing and were shocked when I told them it was cheaper than my previous hobby......  It was nothing more than a spider house until I broke it out and sent it to Pat at Those Guys Rods & Customs for wiring.

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
So, Pat has the car now.  He has installed some disc brakes for me.  I was planning on going 100% original until I remembered how well my 64 Malibu wagon stopped on drums. 

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »
Todd and Dan,

You guys seem to be at least a part of our "Washington Connection".  I'm wondering if you know Dave Knutsen?  He's an old-time Buick fan from way back and the former owner of my 4-speed car that I'm restoring.  Great guy; I still keep in contact with him.

My 4-speed car was originally sold and driven in Washington.  Dave says one of his high school classmates drove it.  Dave bought it, restored it, changed some things, including swapping the auto for the 4-speed and enjoyed it for awhile.  About 10 years ago he sold it to a friend of the family in Arizona, where it lived for the first time outside of Washington.  Of course, now it's in Michigan and about to receive an "Extreme Makeover".   :icon_thumright:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
Todd,

Thanks for sharing more pictures.  You have a lot of REALLY nice parts going into your car!  Did you have some rechroming done, or are the taillights and wheels original?  If so, they were quite a find!

Do you have a timeline in mind to finish, or just taking it as it comes?  I salute your painter for convincing you to "do it right"!  It will be stunning when complete.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
444675 4 speed restoration
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »
That's awesome. Yep I know Dave. I've met him a few times And I remember your car. I always wondered were it went. The Buick world is sure a small world. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:40:44 PM by 66nailhead »
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
Todd,

Thanks for sharing more pictures.  You have a lot of REALLY nice parts going into your car!  Did you have some rechroming done, or are the taillights and wheels original?  If so, they were quite a find!

Do you have a timeline in mind to finish, or just taking it as it comes?  I salute your painter for convincing you to "do it right"!  It will be stunning when complete.

Chuck
The wheels are aftermarket. The tail lights are survivors. Mine were horrible. I plan to send them to Paul's Chrome in PA one of these days.

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
As previously mentioned, I did Eric at Vintage Muscle Car Parts a dis-service by not taking any before pics of this carb.  It was really awful.  Here it is renewed!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
There ain't no easy way!! (Re: 444675 4 speed restoration)
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
Dear Todd and mid-60s Buick caregivers, . . .

The cost of paint and bodywork really took the wind out of my sails. 
. . . .
This did mean however that I didn't really know what I was getting into from a cost perspective. 

Yup, been there and suffered d'at! . . .

At least I saved some money by doing the instrument panel restoration myself.  Of course what I saved in money I lost in time! . . .

I was planning on going 100% original until I remembered how well my 64 Malibu wagon stopped on drums. 

. . . Your wagon would have stopped just fine . . . . if it was a Buick wagon!! . . . .

Seriously, front discs or 4-wheels?  My wagon has front discs right now and I'm getting needled to go with discs on all 4 wheels, but I'm not sure I need that extra stopping power right now.

As previously mentioned, I did Eric at Vintage Muscle Car Parts a dis-service by not taking any before pics of this carb.  It was really awful.  Here it is renewed!

. . . What do ya' mean carb? . . . my trusty wagon has an EZ-EFI fuel injection system!! . . . .

Seriously, your 65 was in need of much more luv' than my wagon.  I'm glad you sticking through with it to bring it back to life!!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edoaurd  :occasion14:

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »
Instruments and dash bits, all restored by my pops.  They turned out beautiful.  Bumpers all straight and re-chromed by Art Brass Plating in Seattle.  Sooooooo expensive.  But they were hammered, now they are pretty again.

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
Not sure why all my pictures are sideways or upside down.  They're right side up when I pick them off my PC.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 09:55:43 PM »
Lookin' great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Looking wonderful! (Re: 444675 4 speed restoration)
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Dear Todd and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Things are coming together nicely.  You have to make that choice of are you going to devote the time to restore something yourself or pay someone else to do it.  If you have the time and skills you can restore some components, but you'll have a very hard time matching the work of a professional.

Not sure why all my pictures are sideways or upside down.  They're right side up when I pick them off my PC.

You might try taking a look at your images using a simple image processing program.  Sometimes image viewers correct the view, but not the actual image.  You might need to turn some of the pictures.  Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy so I can't give you better advice than that.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Picking up the motor today. Hope to install in a week or so. Anybody have a real correct engine bay they can share photos of?  Looking to get a shot of all the details. Thanks in advance. Oh, I've heard you can't get the exhaust manifolds in/out with the motor in the car. Any truth to that??

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
There are quite a few members with really correct engine bays but here are a couple of pics of Mark Ascher's car. This was before some final details were taken care of (like the decal). Very authentic and a BCA Senior Gold.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
Thanks. How about minus the air cleaner?