Author Topic: Comparing Fusick Olds antenna mast to 1965 Buick original  (Read 945 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick fans,

There isn't any vendor claiming to make a radio antenna mast for a mid-60s Buick.  However, Fusick makes an antenna for 1952-60 & 1961-66 Oldsmobiles that looks very close to what was on my wagon:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=569310

Based on the recommendation of another 1965 Buick owner, I went ahead and bought a Fusick antenna, and finally I had an opportunity to install it on my trusty wagon.  Here is a picture of the original antenna mounted on the car:

It is no show antenna, but it is in amazingly good shape for 50 years of mostly active service.  I'll definitely keep it as a spare.  Here is a comparison of the Fusick reproduction and the factory antenna:

As you can see, they aren't identical.  The lengths are different and the individual sections are different.  But it is a close match.  I would be interested in the opinions of the experts on this board, but it might pass as original in judging.  The Fusick antenna is amazingly long when fully extended.  It might get better AM reception fully extended, but it is extremely vulnerable.

Finally, here is the installed reproduction antenna:

In that position, the antenna is as short as possible.  Certainly looks like it belongs there.  The reproduction antenna fits nicely into the original factory mount and the antenna nut tightens up as it should.

So if you are in need of a antenna for your 1965 Buick (and probably other years) here is one option to consider.

Cheers, Edouard