Author Topic: Integrating factory AC in a non-AC car  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Integrating factory AC in a non-AC car
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
Chuck lots of good ideas here, have you given any thought to an under dash unit. They were used extensively in the 60s, this would require less cutting and alteration. I think all you would need in addition to the under dash unit would be the condenser, dryer and compressor. 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy?seid=srese1&gclid=COfw-tLhx8YCFQyoaQodI4gKVg

Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »
I may have to try one of those, looks like a good setup. I do have an Old Auto Air system in our 57 Dodge and it works great, very similar to Vintage Air system.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Vintage air underdash unit. (Re: AC in a non-AC car)
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Dear Rollaround, Jim, and mid-60s Buick "cool-cats" . . . . .  :glasses9:

Chuck lots of good ideas here, have you given any thought to an under dash unit. They were used extensively in the 60s, this would require less cutting and alteration. I think all you would need in addition to the under dash unit would be the condenser, dryer and compressor. 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy?seid=srese1&gclid=COfw-tLhx8YCFQyoaQodI4gKVg

Actually what you have marked there is a product that is sold by Vintage air and is a reproduction of a underdash air conditioner of the 1960s.  As such, you can match it up with other Vintage Air components to get a complete system.

I also thought about this, but I needed the under dash real-estate for my gauge cluster.  If you can park your gauges somewhere else, it is a good plan and does look very authentic.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »
Chuck,
  The conversion is not as bad as I made it sound.  The biggest thing is having access to a mig welder and a jig saw to do the changeover. Since you are looking at getting a whole parts car, you will have everything you need to do the conversion, so I recommend going that way.  You will be happier with the result when you are done. 
  I dug out the 401 AC/alt bracket I have tonight to make sure I knew where it was.  Will look and see if I have the double pulley setup you need for the compressor. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)