Author Topic: Windshield wiper rubber protectant?  (Read 256 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Windshield wiper rubber protectant?
« on: December 09, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
Dear all-weather mid-60s Buick caregivers,

In drought parched California, you can wait a long time to replace the windshield wipers.  Still, by December you oughta do this - so here I am.  Every year I have the same frustration.  I try to stretch the wipers through the wet season and about the best product I've ever found is silicone lubricant.  The trouble is the best I've found isn't very good.

Has anybody found a product that you can apply to the rubber of windshield wipers that really seems to help?

A curious mind would like to know!   :idea1:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Windshield wiper rubber protectant?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 10:15:14 PM »
  Edouard, The silicone you are using is it a spray can or raw in a bottle or can ? I have a small tin container of silicone I don't use it often, but it works good on all rubber parts including weather stripping. For safety I use disposable gloves and a disposable foam brush, dab some silicone on the brush and work in onto the rubber item. Then wipe it excess clean with a paper towel. But I never tried it on wiper blades.. When I go in the garage tomorrow I will write down the name of the product and let you know.

Tony   :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 07:14:17 AM »
Edouard, if you have ever used windshield wipers from PIAA (they are one of the better/best wipers made for automobiles, my opinion), the rubber wiper material has silicone embedded in the blade material. They also furnish a sealed package containing a wiper wet with a silicone product, which they ask you to use on the windshield itself, to treat the windshield. For most instances, a silicone treated windshield virtually eliminates the need for wipers, and the rain water easily flows off quickly when driving. But at any rate, as Tony states, using a silicone product is not a bad thing at all when it comes to windshields and wiper blades.

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi what about the old stand by  armorall.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the tips! (Re: Windshield wiper rubber protectant? )
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 01:36:37 PM »
Dear Tony, 65GSConv, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Edouard, The silicone you are using is it a spray can or raw in a bottle or can ? I have a small tin container of silicone I don't use it often, but it works good on all rubber parts including weather stripping.
. . . .

I used to use some silicone lubricant that came in a bottle with an application brush in the lid from RainGo gutters.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find that product anymore.  The only thing find now comes is a pump sprayer.  Do you know what is the brand of your silicone lubricant in a tin?  These days all I have is the 10W-40 brand of aerosol silicone spray.  I am going to buy some of the Kroil Kano Sili Penetrating Oil but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edouard, if you have ever used windshield wipers from PIAA (they are one of the better/best wipers made for automobiles, my opinion), the rubber wiper material has silicone embedded in the blade material.
. . . .

Hmm, I never heard of this brand - they look excellent!  Thank you for the suggestion!   Here is the company website:

https://www.piaa.com/siliconewiperblades

I have been using Trico wiper refills.  They aren't bad.  I can get a full year of service here in dry California.  However,  PIAA looks like a better product.  I think I'll switch next year.  Alas, I have all the refills I need for this year.

Hi what about the old stand by  armorall.

I've never tried Armor All on wiper blades.  According to the auto upholster that redid Biquette's seats, Armor All is very destructive on interior vinyl.  For interior plastic they recommended 303 protectant.  I used to use Armor All on tires.  It works fine, but just doesn't last very long and I can't wash the cars often.  So I switched to one of those long lasting tire dressings.  I don't know what Armor All would do on wipers.  It might work nicely.

Thanks for all the interesting tips!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Windshield wiper rubber protectant? Silicone ?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 06:17:24 PM »
 Edouard, Jim, 65GSconv. I don't know too much about other silicone products, my Father used to bring home a product line called CEE's from the Buick service center that he worked at. Mainly carb cleaner and silicone spray. We also used this other silicone product that's in an 8oz screw top tin can that has an applicator on the screw top. I would say the can is 3/4 full, a little goes a long way. I don't know how old the can is, my Father is passed away years ago. I will type out  the information on the can.
         (front of can)
    Dominion Sure Seal Ltd.
                4X
             Silicone
           Lubricant
    For rubber, plastic parts
        Ignition systems
         non melting
         non freezing

(On the back of the can it says)
    4X by Dow Corning is the original silicone lube.
    It is the highest silicone content of all.
    Auto lubricating effective -40 to + 400
         Net wt.8oz/227g 
    Dominion Sure Seal Ltd.
  Toronto/Montreal/ Vancouver
         Stock B100

Don't know if they still manufacture this silicone product, but I would say Google it and see what you come up with. If you want me to send you some
I could put some in a small jar and mail out to you on the left coast so you can have some. I have plenty, I know this 8oz can will outlast me. But like I said yesterday I do wear protective gloves when I use it because I'm sure it's not good to be absorbed into the skin. (and there are NO hazard warning on the can, so I know it's an old can because everything has a warning label on it now !! )

Tony   :thumbsup:
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 07:26:46 AM »
It appears Dominion Sure Seal Ltd. still markets a silicone product, but the only one I could find from them involves an aerosol spray can type dispenser.

Super Lube also manufacturers a variety of silicone oil products in various sizes and viscosity values. I did not look who all sells them. Here is a link to what Super Lube all has:

- https://www.super-lube.com/silicone-oil

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
   Thanks, 65GSconv. I clicked on the link that you posted and Superlube provides many products for different applications. Edouard could contact the company and ask what product would work best for the wiper blades. Superlube products are sold thru most of the major retailers/Amazon & catalog companies here in the states. So getting what he needs should not be a problem. Also while I was reading the companies history I was surprised to see that there manufacturing facility is located right here on Long Island an hour east of me.

Tony  :thumbsup:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks! Will keep looking! (Re: Windshield wiper rubber protectant? )
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:35:11 PM »
Dear Tony, 65GSconv, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for all the helpful info!

my Father used to bring home a product line called CEE's from the Buick service center that he worked at.
. . . .
(and there are NO hazard warning on the can, so I know it's an old can because everything has a warning label on it now !! )

Thanks for sharing the story Tony!  Our garages and workshops clearly have the same imprint of our Fathers!

Edouard could contact the company and ask what product would work best for the wiper blades.
. . .

Yes, I need to do some more research.  What I would really prefer is something general purpose.  It is strange that I got used to using that RainGo Silicone lubricant on all sorts of things it wasn't intended for.  You don't realize how handy a product actually is until you can buy it anymore!

Thanks again!