Author Topic: Sad way for a Buick to spend her 50th birthday.  (Read 824 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Sad way for a Buick to spend her 50th birthday.
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Dear birthday planners for 1965 Buicks (and interested followers,)

According to the builder’s plate, Biquette (my trusty wagon) rolled off the Fremont, CA assembly line the first week of May 1965.  The first work-week of May 1965 ran from May 3-7.  So somewhere between today and Thursday, Biquette will be 50 years ago.  Alas, this is what she looks like and will remain this week.

There is hope.  TA-Performance is in the process of reassembling the engine and hopefully it will be headed back for installation by June or so.  Still as the months went by, I could see that Biquette’s 50th birthday was going to end up like this.  Definitely a very low moment for me . . . .   :sad1:

Edouard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Sad way for a Buick to spend her 50th birthday.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
Hey, that ain't all bad. She's inside, out of the elements! Some have it much rougher.  :icon_thumright:
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Jim and fans of "mature" Buicks,

Hey, that ain't all bad. She's inside, out of the elements! Some have it much rougher.  :icon_thumright:

Well, yes I see your point, but this isn't a typical 50 year old Buick survivor.  My family bought Biquette second-hand in 1968 when I was only this tall:

The car has been in almost continuous service ever since.  She has almost 270,000 miles on her and has had a very adventurous life.  The lowest moment for Biquette was being stolen, lost for 3 months, but nonetheless being recovered and returned to us.  Perhaps her highpoint was being included in my PhD.  Even as late as 2004, when Biquette was 39 years ago, I drove her from Northern California to Seattle to work for 3 months at Amazon.

Once the assignment was over, Biquette and I drove the 800 miles back home.  All that time Biquette was my only car.  Until now, the longest she has been out of service was about 6 months during her two engine rebuilds and for body-shop work after the accident of November 2010.

The custom Big-Block Buick engine she was fitted with failed after only 3 months last April.  She has been struck in the garage ever since.  So it is truly in ignominious way for Biquette to spend her 50th birthday after having been such a faithful car for us all these years.

Edouard 

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »
I love stories like this.  Like Biquette, my Buick (nicknamed Bianca) will turn 50 this month; she was built (I believe) in the 3rd week of May, and delivered on June 12.  I will be getting her out for a nice drive to celebrate!!

:occasion13:

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
Wish I was 50.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.