Author Topic: 65 Special With Upgrades  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Special With Upgrades
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
Loren, Here's my favorite interior shot, I'll post some more but I like this one. We showed up for this young lady's second birthday and someone put her in the car for a photo op. What we did not realize was this would be the first time she had ever been in a car not strapped into her car seat. She was overwhelmed by the chrome, steering wheel and window cranks. Being the bright young gal she is she made an announcement, she proclaimed MINE! Needless to say getting her out of the car was quit the event.

Back to the interior. I redid the seats, installing high density foam with Skylark covers the door panels, original Special where in great shape. I removed the rubber matting and installed carpet. The dash was removed and restored with some additions.       
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:24:05 PM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Special With Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
Where did the tach that fits in the clock hole come from?   Is that custom made, or available somewhere on the open market? 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
Brian the tach is out of a 71 Chevelle. I removed the clock then using the back of the clock case for the tach I was able to make it fit. The hardest part was getting the depth set so the needle distance behind the glass would match the gas gauge and speedo needles.
If you look very closely, just below and inboard from the 7 is a very small but bright LED light, it serves as my check engine light.
I have photos of the conversion process I just need to find them if your interested.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:05:32 AM »
Extremely SWEET!

Do tell more.  Beautiful engine and your overall detail is fantastic.

She is a  cutie and has good taste already. LOL

Thanks for the posting,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:27:25 AM »
What a neat and elegant idea.  I'd love to see the photos if you can find them.  Is this a Shiftworks product?  Do you have a part number?

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:58 AM »
Very nice!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Online dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »
Is this a Shiftworks product?  Do you have a part number?

Yes it is. Part number S518-W
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »
Thanks Dan!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »
Has anyone used this tach AND the tach in the consolette?  Just wire them in parallel?

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
They are from Shiftworks and Herb is a great guy to deal with.  He has two tachs one PN S517-W is for a 68-74 Nova, PN S518W is for a 70-72 Chevelle they are not the same size one fits better than the other. Wish I could find my notes. 
I have not tried to wire this in conjunction with another tach.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
Hey Kevin,

Contemplating doing a tach similarly to yours........you mention you have more pictures of the conversion.   Would love to see them if findable.

Thanks either way in advance!
Steve.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »
Steve,
Replacing the clock with a tach was a very simple task, not much more than removing and replacing the clock.  I had my dash removed during restoration at the time. One might be able to do it without removing the dash but it would be tight.

I removed both the clock and tach from their respective mounting cases then modify the clock case to receive the tach. Next I had to ‘discover’ the correct amount of shimming for the tach inside the dash case to establish the correct depth or distance behind the dash glass. I wanted the tach to be the same depth as the fuel quantity and speedo gauges, it's tight but it's in there.

Herb at Shift Works was very helpful and helped me research dimensions for several in dash tachs.

Once installed the wiring is straightforward as any tach. I had some additional issues, I needed to amplify the tach signal from LS computer.  I also added a yellow LED light by the 7 on the tach to serve as my check engine light.

Good luck
K

Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Looks great . . . just one question . . . (Re: 65 Special With Upgrades)
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick "clock watchers," . . . .  :laughing7:

Replacing the clock with a tach was a very simple task, not much more than removing and replacing the clock.

. . . . Looks great!  Just one small question.  With your dash like that, how do you know what time it is? . . . . .  :icon_scratch:

. . . . .

Seriously it is a great use of that space and avoids the hot rod look that the dash of my wagon has.  I'm sure your wristwatch solves your clock problem!

Great job Kevin! :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
Many thanks Kevin, this is greatly helpful!

So, you actually used the original clock's "case" ?  I think I'm at a disadvantage there,  I don't have the clock.  But I do have at extra blank (the standard piece that stands in for the clock), need to figure out an alternative mounting strategy.

What happens if you just mount the tach as built?  I suppose it'd be too far back?
Steve.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »
Steve,
Somewhere around here I should have my original tach case, the same case that will come with your tach.  If I can find it I'll send it to you, you can use it to build a prototype. I think if you cut the flange off, then simply move it back further on the case you could make it work. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio