Author Topic: Recommendations for "easy riding" suspension upgrades?  (Read 401 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Recommendations for "easy riding" suspension upgrades?
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who dread all those potholes out there,

I'm starting to plan for my wagons return to California's roads and there is definitely one disappointment.  The roads are in serious decline and even were repairs are being attempted, they aren't keeping up.  Our 2000 Buick Century does as good a job as can be hoped for, but my wagon has 1965 stock suspension and really suffers.

A number of outfits sell suspension upgrades to improve handling, but many of these upgrades result in a harsher ride.  I'm hoping to temper the bouncing over the potholes without making the ride much rougher.  After all, my 87 year old Mother does ride in this car from time to time.

I've heard one group of suggestions which is sway bars and boxed rear control arms.  As an example, here is what OPGI sells for control arms:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/1965/chassis-suspension/suspension-components/KR00445/

I picked these for the very practical reason that it was easy to find these items in the OPGI catalog.  I'm definitely open to better suggestions!

OPGI has a front sway bar kit like this:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/CH2230/

They also have a 1-1/4" bar.

They have the equivalent kit for the rear:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/1965/chassis-suspension/suspension-components/CH2233/

They also have a stiffer 1" bar.

Finally they have an adjustable rear sway bar kit:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/1965/chassis-suspension/suspension-components/CH28419/

Hey 65GS.com-land, what has been your experience with these sort of upgrades?  From which vendors did you get your parts?  What issues came up in installation?  Finally, how satisfied where you with the ride?  What order sort of suspension upgrades should I consider to cope with the potholes while keeping Mom in da' pink?

Opinions solicited! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Recommendations for "easy riding" suspension upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
Hi Edouard,

I don't have any of the things you mentioned.
I do have 1" drop Eibach coil springs with kyb gas shocks. The ride is substantially better, not harsh, and handles well. Very pleased with it.
Usually I hear about harsher rides from people who install coil-overs.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »
OEM grade is likely fine for your use, you are not looking for a max-G corner burner!
Ground Up has some good package deals, $262 for boxed rear lower control arms and sway bar:
http://www.ss396.com/chevelle/DCK-1515.html
Front 1-1/4" sway bar/kits start at $129:
http://www.ss396.com/category/chevelle-swaybarsoemstyle.html

Stick with rubber bushings for A arms and control arms. You can use polyurethane sway bar bushings to stiffen the cornering a bit without affecting the ride.

Springs, shocks, and especially tires will determine ride quality. Larger diameter tires will roll up/over obstacles easier ('angle of attack' is the technical term), and larger sidewall will produce more cushion.
What springs did you use? A hp 'handling' spring with large diameter wire and short length will produce a harsh ride, while a longer but smaller diameter wire coil will give more in the bumps. Not optimum for handling, but it'll absorb bumps better.
Maybe air bags?

If you're towing, a weight-distributing hitch will distribute the tongue weight on the front and rear suspension, not just the rear.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the suggestions! (Re: "Easy riding" suspension upgrades?)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
Dear Iain, Walt, and mid-60s Buick owners who cope with "lunar landscape" roads,

I do have 1" drop Eibach coil springs with kyb gas shocks. The ride is substantially better, not harsh, and handles well. Very pleased with it.
Usually I hear about harsher rides from people who install coil-overs.

My wagon is at her stock height and that's what I want.  Some campgrounds could have rough roads so some extra ground clearance is only prudent.  She has been upgraded to KYB shocks.  I'm not entirely pleased with them because when loaded (she is a wagon after all) the ride can be too mushy.  However, perhaps that won't be a problem as much as in the past.  She isn't likely to be carrying heavy things in the future.

OEM grade is likely fine for your use, you are not looking for a max-G corner burner!
Ground Up has some good package deals, $262 for boxed rear lower control arms and sway bar:
. . .

Thanks for the recommendations!  I agree that simply going with stock is probably sufficient given that I'm still aiming for simply a "mellow ride."

Stick with rubber bushings for A arms and control arms. You can use polyurethane sway bar bushings to stiffen the cornering a bit without affecting the ride.

I was planning to stick with rubber as well.

Springs, shocks, and especially tires will determine ride quality. Larger diameter tires will roll up/over obstacles easier ('angle of attack' is the technical term), and larger sidewall will produce more cushion.

Indeed the larger tires should be a significant help.

What springs did you use? A hp 'handling' spring with large diameter wire and short length will produce a harsh ride, while a longer but smaller diameter wire coil will give more in the bumps. Not optimum for handling, but it'll absorb bumps better.

I don't remember which springs were used exactly, but it was some sort of a stock-type spring.  They had to be customized to adjust for the heavier weight of the engine.

Maybe air bags?

If you're towing, a weight-distributing hitch will distribute the tongue weight on the front and rear suspension, not just the rear.

I can see it is going to be many years before I can take on the travel trailer project in earnest, so I' deferring the upgrades that would be needed to handle the heavy loads.  When that time comes, air bags or air adjustable shocks are definitely essential as well as the load-distributing hitch.  I may go ahead and upgrade Biquette's towing wiring to modern standards.  That way if I could rent a trailer for whatever purpose.  That would also bring a dedicated brake power wire that presently Biquette doesn't have.  I would like to camouflage a third brake light in the headliner just behind the tailgate window.  Something to do before the headliner gets replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard   

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:38:29 PM »
Hey -- one more thing. I used to run monroe gas shocks in the rear, just for fun. They won't affect ride quality when not in use, but when you are towing you can inflate them and that will probably help with the load and leveling the rear of the wagon.

Though - they must be installed correctly and you don't want an air line leaks. So if that presents a problem, just keep the KYBs. You can always change your mind one you see how the trailer acts anyway.

Exciting Edouard! Where you going to take everyone?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick owners with road trip aspirations, . . . .

Hey -- one more thing. I used to run monroe gas shocks in the rear, just for fun. They won't affect ride quality when not in use, but when you are towing you can inflate them and that will probably help with the load and leveling the rear of the wagon.

That's one way to solve this problem.  Air bags are another and that might be a better solution.

Exciting Edouard! Where you going to take everyone?

I would like to settle some issues that ultimately would be important for towing.  In particular, I would like to settle a rear end ratio so that I can get the speedometer calibrated and not have to fuss with that again.  However, I can see the travel trailer will take a lot more time and research.  There is a magazine dedicated to vintage trailers and their website will give some idea of what this sort of a project is about:

https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com/

There is also a TV show about restoring vintage trailers called "Flippin' RVs."  It used to air on the Great American Country channel:

https://www.greatamericancountry.com/shows/flippin-rvs

There is a trailer for the show on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/BYOSjqMHkTI

It appears that the show was sold to the Travel Channel but is no longer listed on their website.  Still, if you can catch one of these shows it will give you some idea of what is involved in restoring one of these old trailers.  Basically it is a home restoration and automobile restoration all rolled up into one.

In short, don't hold your breath!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: