Author Topic: Best cleaner for vinyl seats???  (Read 1216 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Best cleaner for vinyl seats???
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
My 65 GS has a white interior that is in really good shape.  But it is a bit discolored (off-white/yellowed) and has a few small spots.  Have any of you had success in bringing unworn, but dulling seats and panels back to life?  I think this should end up to be a bright white.

A few pictures are attached.

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Best cleaner for vinyl seats???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
Chuck...lemme chime in.  I am NOT THERE looking at your interior so I cannot say for sure but... it sure appears to NOT BE WHITE... The front & rear seats, the door panels, rear seat arm rests all appear to be the same 'off white'... looks too even to be "faded"?
WHAT I do see in the pix,  the top back of the passenger seat has what I am going to call ONE PLEAT on each side and the driver seat TOP back has 3 PLEATS in the same spot... ARE you sure that interior is original?? 

Just say'n.   :dontknow:

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
Hey Wheelz,

You might be right on the color.  Might be an off-white.  I guess I'm hoping for bright white, but maybe that's not to be.

That picture is not the best.  Both front seats have the three pleats, a matching set.  It's not original.  It was a Legendary replacement from 15-20 years ago.  The original interior was black.

Chuck

Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
"The original interior was black."

Chuck,

That explains the black dash.

White has a tendency to yellow from sunlight.

But, now that you have mentioned that the covers are from Legendary, that explains a lot.

I sent the original cover to them when they got started with '65 Buick interiors. In return they sent me a set of covers for the use of the original as a pattern.  The white that Legendary was using at the time was an off white. That is what Legendary sent back to me.

So, you are correct, it should be a bright white. That also is what the Buick dealer album has as a material sample.

Loren

65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division