Author Topic: Water Crossover Sealing  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Water Crossover Sealing
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »
I've read that using 2 O-rings on the water crossover (where it goes into the timing cover) will stop leaking problems there.
I have 2 O-rings ready to go on, but in taking a dry run at it, the crossover won't go all the way into the timing cover.
With 1 it pops right on. What am I missing here?

Mark

65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Water Crossover Sealing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
You need more muscles.  :icon_biggrin:  :overthetop:

Seriously though it's a bit of a bear to do by yourself. I started one bolt hand tightened on the passenger side cylinder head just so there's a good fulcrum to press the driver side down gently while installing one bolt on that side. Gets tricky trying to keep the gaskets aligned, but with enough goop, it can be done. Once you have one bolt on each side, you should be able to install the others, but might need a bit more prying to get them all started correctly.

I think my lever system consisted of two combination open/box end wrenches as there could be an issue with the rad and core support. One wrench under the intake and above the manifold with the box end towards you., then insert the open end of the second wrench into that, and pry away. Just be careful not to slip!! :nono:  :icon_scratch:

Edit: As for the accessory brackets, I pretty sure I installed the generator/alternator and AC one along with the very first bolt. I *think* I did the PS bracket with the first bolt on the driver side, but cannot remember for certain.  :dontknow: I might have got the manifold positioned correctly, then removed and reinstalled the bolts for that bracket.

I did this job on the car that AL now has.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:21:43 PM by Mister T »
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
Mark,

If you compare the diameter of the holes in the crossover with the diameter of the bolts, you will find some slop. The holes through the crossover are 1/2" in diameter while the diameter of the bolt is 3/8". In other words, you need to get the bolts started, then apply down force to the crossover while tightening the bolts. I like Tom's idea of putting one bolt in and using leverage to get the crossover down tight into the timing chain cover. I'd use only one o-ring and use lots of gasket sealer. Wipe up the excess that squeezes out. Wait until the sealer has had plenty of time to set up before adding antifreeze. I helped a friend with his leaking problem by tighten the bolts while he pushed down on the cross over with all his might. It hasn't leaked since.

John

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »
John, on my old car I twice tried using just one O-ring with plenty of gasket sealer. It leaked both times in very short order.  :angry5:  :angry1: That's when I went to two O-rings. I think it was Tom Telesco who suggested that to me.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
I use Permatex Ultra Black. Everything has to be clean and dry. Liberally coat a single o-ring and the contact surfaces (make sure the flow path is clear of silicone :). Wait until set-up before adding coolant.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
Dwaine,

Yes, very important to make sure all that Permatex does not squeeze out into the flow path of the coolant.

John

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
Guys, thanks for the help & suggestions. I have couple of ideas kicking around in my pea sized brain.
I'll post the findings here...

Mark

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
It's important for the nipple of the crossover to be fairly centered in the timing cover..... that can be adjusted by using a different thickness cross-over-to-head gasket. You can try doing a dry assembly with the o-ring but without gaskets, and seeing what kind of gap you need between crossover and head. Then adjust gasket thickness accordingly.

Also make sure the inside of the timing cover where the o-ring seals isn't corroded.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:20 AM »
I`ve had problems with this in the past. Finally using the regular gaskets and one o-ring the gasket sealer was the answer. Permatex aviation forma-gasket did the job. No 3H. It`s brown and sticks great.
Good luck , John

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
I tried hunting for a slightly larger size (ring thickness) o-ring, but couldn't come up with anything. Checked McMaster Carr for those as well. Walt, it is corroded inside the timing cover where the crossover & o-ring reside, but not what I would call horrible. I read about the gasket thickness/centering in the cover surfing for a solution last weekend, so I need to check that.

I'm going to clean up and fill in some of the corrosion with JB Weld. Check the alignment in the hole, and go from there.
I have a new TA cover painted and ready to go. I'm trying to avoid tearing all that down to replace it - it's a denial thing.
Thanks all for the help and great ideas. I'll post back with what happens, maybe in a few days.

Pic is the results after a 6 mile drive last August.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:58:40 PM by Mark Ascher »