Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 71212 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice, John.  I met with my painter yesterday, who has restored a ton of 60s vintage Pontiacs and a Riviera and he suggested putting some heat to the rubber grommets with a heat gun and then try to work the grommets loose around their perimeters.  We'll see if that helps; I'm not looking forward to this task  :sad1:

And thanks for the tip on the broken wires in the harness.  All my power windows work, but I think I'd be smart to check out the harness to see if my wires are fatiguing as well......

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Chuck, looked at the VIN, and it is a K, Kansas City build car.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
Chuck,

Even though my door harness boot was dry and hard, they did come out with a little persuasion from a screw driver. The grommet lip is not that wide. Once you get it started it will come out without drastic measures. BTW, I did go back and pulled out the passenger's wiring harness, but the wires there were good. Good luck.

John

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
Chuck, looked at the VIN, and it is a K, Kansas City build car.

Interesting.  I'm trying to decide what benefit the insulation would provide....why did they put it there???  Any ideas?
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »
Chuck,

Even though my door harness boot was dry and hard, they did come out with a little persuasion from a screw driver. The grommet lip is not that wide. Once you get it started it will come out without drastic measures. BTW, I did go back and pulled out the passenger's wiring harness, but the wires there were good. Good luck.

John

Good to know.  Maybe (probably...) I'm getting excited about nothing!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Next question......for those of you that have restored your 65's, did you do your own refurbishment of the Gran Sport emblems or did you buy new repops?  I've not seen a good process for repainting them and some probably should be rechromed......

Thanks,

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
Chuck,

The Gran Sport emblems on my car were in reasonably good shape except for faded & chipped paint.
I attempted stripping and repainting them. Failed, although I got very close to success.
For the time I have in them, just get the repros!

Caution: the repro C-pillar emblem studs are too close together. You'll need to elongate the holes slightly with a Dremel or something like that.

Happy Easter!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Happy Easter to you as well.  It was a great day with family!

Thanks for the advice.  My painter, who has restored quite a few cars, recommended repops as well.  Just thought I'd see what the experience has been here.  I'll look at your list to see where to purchase them from.  And since my car is a convertible, I don't have to worry about the problem with the emblem on the C-pillars!

I think I've settled on my paint scheme now.  I've looked at lots of greens and have decided that the one I like best is the 1965 Verde Green.  With white top and interior.  Probably a challenge to keep clean.  And I know green is not a very popular color these days, but I'm not building this for resale.  I expect it to stay in the family long after I'm gone!!

So, from what I've read here, white interior came from the factory with dark gray carpet and dash, correct?  Both dashpad and dashboard are gray?  Or should the dashboard be black?

Thanks again.  We're leaving mid-week for vacation and will return at the end of the month.  Then I'll have a couple of weeks to finish disassembly to have it ready to deliver to my painter.  All that's left is to drop the gas tank, pull the engine/tranny, and pull out the wire harnesses.  Then she's ready for some bling!

Cheers!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
And thinking ahead to the reassembly stage, how much trouble is it to reinstall the power window mechanisms?  My painter has had some bad experiences and thought I should have left them in the doors.  Too late now......

Thanks,

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »
Chuck,

Everything is a shade of gray - carpet, dash and dash pad. The power window mechanisms are not that difficult to reinstall its adjusting them that I found to be difficult. Lots of time and fiddling.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
Thanks Dan.  Can I find the proper paint codes in a 1965 paint chip book?

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »
And that also means the steering mast and steering wheel are gray also?  The same color as the dashboard?

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2015, 05:08:42 AM »
Wow, is it October already?  I forgot how long ago it was that I updated my status on the 4-speed convertible restoration.  I'm way behind my original schedule, but made some changes along the way that caused a detour or two.  Add to it my purchase of Steve Shuman's red convertible earlier this year and some freshening work I did on it and I shouldn't be surprised that time is passing so quickly. :icon_scratch:

Earlier this year I made the decision to integrate a factory air conditioning system into this restoration.  The car is not numbers matching and is already equipped with lots of gear that was not there from the factory.  So I bought a 65 Skylark parts car with factory air and proceeded to prepare for installation into my car.  Special thanks to Loren, Brian and Dan for talking me through the planning for A/C incorporation.  I wouldn't have had enough confidence to proceed without their support. 

Fast forward and the car is now ready to be put on the rotisserie and then delivered for media blasting.  When it returns, my painter will begin the body work and I'll get started on stripping the frame to ready it for blasting and painting.  We'll get it on the rotisserie after my return from vacation in mid-October.

That's my brief status update for now.  I've attached a few pictures for your viewing pleasure, as I know that if there are no pictures, it didn't happen!  :dontknow:

I'll check in again when I have more progress to report.  Until then....... :cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »
Looks great Chuck!  How did the conversion of the hole in the passenger kick panel area go? 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:25 AM »
Thanks Brian.  That conversion is partially done.  I made a template from the parts car and cut the portion of the hole that comes out of the existing panel.  We will wait to weld the "fill piece" into the kick panel until it comes back from blasting with nice clean metal  :thumbsup:

As for the piece that has to be welded into the firewall in that area, I've cut the required hole in the firewall to receive it.  While the body is away being blasted, I'll harvest that piece from the parts car, get it blasted and ready for installation into my car.  Looks like it should be easy to locate by bolting the A/C air box outside the firewall into place, then attaching the harvested piece to it.  That will determine where it gets welded. 

The other holes were not that difficult.  I took my time, checked and rechecked my templates and locations, then made rough cuts with a recip saw, followed by final, careful cuts with aviation snips.  Thanks Loren for that tip!   :headbang:

After cutting all the holes and drilling the required mounting holes, I test fit each of the pieces of the A/C system and they all fit well.  I was glad to find in that process that the design of the system allows for some degree of misalignment.  As we all know, manufacturing tolerances weren't all that tight back in '65.  I think that worked to my advantage in my role as "shade tree mechanic"!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks again for your advice and parts!  I've still got a ways to go with correct lines, dryer and POA valve updates, but I'm happy to have this stressful stuff behind me.

Oh, and on the subject of parts, I was able to sell my '66 aluminum valve covers and purchase a nice set of the correct covers for '65.  Onward and upward!

Chuck

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:15:51 AM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100