Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 72263 times)

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
Chuck,
  That shell looks pretty good to me. There are a lot of 50K cars out there that would look a lot worse than that if they were stripped. If that is still bare steel you better get some metal conditioner on it.
Mine was very similar in the rust areas. I just ordered the supports when I replaced the trunk area. You may be further ahead to think small on rust repair. A good welder can make small repairs and you want to avoid cutting on those quarters. Most of those body supports are made overseas. I think Dynacorn sells the correct ones for us through their site or maybe someone knows of a distributor for u.s. stampings. They are usually a bit more,but made to the correct specs as far as fit and thickness.Dan

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2015, 06:31:03 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I've taken your advice and ordered a part from Dynacorn.  Interestingly, it was less expensive than virtually all of the other brands I found.  Can't confirm that it's made in the USA, but expect it will fit well and be of proper gauge.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Chuck

PS:  It will be in primer by the end of the week.....
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
No worries about surface rust on that blasted body anymore.  It's now in etching urethane primer and ready for metal repairs, etc.

I've also finally harvested the stamping from the parts car that will be welded into the restoration for mounting of the A/C airbox through the firewall.  And I made a sheet metal patch for the passenger kickpanel for the fitment of the A/C box through the kick panel.  Those will be welded tomorrow and the body will begin the full fledged patching process to repair rust holes.  Nothing terrible, but quite a bit of work.

A replacement trunk brace will arrive on Tuesday and installation will complete the welding required. 

Progress; gotta love it!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
To close the loop on the A/C conversion, we welded the two plates in place today.  All the pieces were fit to locate the plates and the car now looks like it was originally an A/C car....almost  :laughing7:

Tomorrow my trunk brace arrives and we'll be installing it on Wednesday.  Meanwhile, my friend Dick is working on patching rust holes in the body while I work on disassembling the frame.

Special thanks again to Loren, Brian and Dan for talking me through the A/C project!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
The replacement trunk brace arrived and was installed.  It was a nice piece.  Proper metal thickness, accurate stamped configuration and high quality caged nut for the body mount bolt.  As always, it required some tweaking, but nothing major.  Thanks for the tip on Dynacorn, Dan!

Purchased from DynacornDepot.com in California.  The part was drop shipped from Pittsburgh.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
Frame is all stripped down and hopefully will be going for sandblast late this week.  I'm shopping for steering and suspension components to install when it comes back.  Any preferences from you guys?  I've spec'ed out all the MOOG parts I need and consider them to be a top shelf brand.  Anything else I'm missing?  I have a bill of material I can share if anyone is interested in what I've found so far.  RockAuto seems to have the lowest prices it seems.......

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
Used Moog on my 66, seems like good stuff and I believe US made. Not sure where I got it but maybe Espo?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »
I bought all the MOOG parts from a local auto parts store that was NOT a chain. Some of you MN guys might know these places, but a hard parts store, like Welle Auto Supply or Motor Parts is where I shop.
And then there is a member here who bought all of his chassis parts on Amazon. Go figure.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
Chuck ,  it looks like ur making a lot of progress .
It,s looking really good so far , keep on posting pictures when you can it helps me stay motivated .

Funny Mark should mention Welle auto supply , I worked there for 12 years right out of tech school .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2015, 09:28:57 PM »
Looks like you're moving along quite well Chuck. Here in Michigan,some carquest stores are still independently owned. My local carquest guy gives me better prices and parts than any of the big three chain stores here. I have bought a lot of "hard to find" pieces through them. Moog is probably the best out there for stock replacement suspension parts. I have bought heater core,water pump,carb rebuild kit,front end,shocks,etc....all over the counter and usually in a day or two. Dan

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2015, 09:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement!  I'll post a picture or two tomorrow.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
A couple of pictures of the "liberated" frame.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Meanwhile, back in the body shop........

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »
Frame is back from sandblast.  It will get a coat of etching urethane primer tomorrow.  Control arms and crossmember are in for blasting now.  Rear axle will also go in for blasting soon.

Guess I'd better start ordering those steering and suspension parts!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »
Chuck... I know you are not ready yet, but, I parted out a 65 4 door WITH A/C years ago and I still have some of those a/c parts, ie; brackets, vents, cables, etc...  When you get to that point,  lemme know what you need.   :occasion14:

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay