Author Topic: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project  (Read 71210 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Details on my wagon (Was: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »
Dear cwmcobra, Milton, and mid-60s Buick fans,

Thanks for your praise.  Sure hope someday I actually can get the car to be operable once more.

Some really nice work there, Edouard!  What does the custom compressor bracket look like?

I don't know anything about the compressor bracket besides the fact it is a welded "splice" between a standard Buick big-block compressor bracket and the the bracket that Vintage Air supplies with the GTO kit.  Jim Weise custom built the bracket before shipping the engine he built for me.  There is a guy on V-8 Buick who does make a bracket for the big-block.  I don't know if he would consider coming up with a bracket for any other Buick engine, but you might get in touch with him.  He goes by the handle longhorn I believe.

Your Radio sure looks a lot better than your early one. Did you have to modify the dash panel? How about the Speakers?

The radio is a Custom Autosound 630 that you can buy today.  It will fit into the dash panel without any modification.  However, it won't look as nice as it will with a few modifications.  I documented the changes I made on this thread on V-8 Buick:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?268438-FYI-Custom-Autosound-mods-for-improved-authenticity

The front speakers are once more the Custom Autosound kick-panel speakers that you can buy for the 1964-67 A-bodies.  They have "fish-gill" vents for the cars that didn't come with factory air.  You have the choice of two speaker models or you can just buy the panels and buy your own speakers.  If you decide to upgrade a car that didn't have factory air to an after-market A/C system, I do recommend going with the fish-gill style of kick-panels because that will allow you to use your fresh air vents the car was originally equipped with.  As far as I know, all the after-market A/C systems only provide recirculation so having the original air vents is the only way to bring some fresh air into the car besides opening the windows.

The Glove Box looks very useful. Did you cut it down or are they available that way?

The glove box liner is a completely custom.  I made it from sheet metal after realizing that the original was 2 inches too deep.  It is based on the original Buick cardboard design but is adjusted to squeeze into the limited space.  I never have documented that modification, but I have the templates for making the box if anyone is interested and I have a lot of photos documenting how I did it.

Thanks again,

Cheers, Edouard
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:01:13 AM by elagache »

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
Very nice work on these A/C installs! Having air certainly makes the cars more drivable for long trips or going down south.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
More progress with disassembly.  Going on vacation for most of April and hoping to have it torn down and ready for the body work by the time I leave.  Wish me luck!

How does one remove Dum Dum from painted surfaces?  I guess it won't really hurt if the paint comes off with the Dum Dum, but when I put it back together, should I use Dum Dum again to seal around the tail lights?  If so, are there any solvents that will smooth or clean Dum Dum without removing that pretty, new paint???
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
The gunk around the tailights can probably be removed with Permatex spray on gasket remover.
Use a plastic putty knife and a rag, it should practically wipe off. Use a Metro tailight gasket set to reinstall the tailights.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 06:45:53 AM »
Thanks Mark!  Great advice.
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
As I'm proceeding with disassembly, I find that I am missing a few fasteners here and there and there will be quite a few parts that I'll want to replace with I reassemble.  Has anyone that has gone through this before been "anal" enough to create a laundry list of where to find parts for our cars?  I've already done a lot of searching and will do more, but if that process can be shortcut by sharing what's already been done by others, I say "why reinvent the wheel"?

I'm not being lazy, just hoping to shortcut the research time and to hopefully learn of suppliers that others have had good product and service from.

I'm recording details as I go and will be happy to share what I've done when my project is complete.

The snow has melted and the sun is out here in SW Michigan.  I'm getting the itch to cruise!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
"Anal?" I don't know what your talking about.
I'll post later with more information on the subject....

Mark

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »
"Anal?" I don't know what your talking about.
I'll post later with more information on the subject....

Mark

Hey...he resembles....I mean resents that remark. LOL
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »

" I say "why reinvent the wheel"?

Might be a good idea to have a topic of that sort with postings of good results and where to find them.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »

" I say "why reinvent the wheel"?

Might be a good idea to have a topic of that sort with postings of good results and where to find them.

Loren

Amen!!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
Loren,

You want me to start a topic that we can use a "sticky?"

Mark

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
 :headbang:

YES!

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:21 AM »
Loren,

You want me to start a topic that we can use a "sticky?"

Mark

Great idea, Mark.  I'm sure you have one of the most complete "lists" and the info would be much appreciated! 

Thanks for offering!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »
Making progress on disassembly.  Almost ready to pull the engine and tranny.  In fact, would do it today if the weather was warmer....still in the 30s here   :crybaby2:

Still need to remove the windshield.  From what I read it has to be cut out with a special tool.  Any tricks to doing this "easily"?  Does it require two people to lift the glass out once it is liberated from the frame?

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »

Still need to remove the windshield.  From what I read it has to be cut out with a special tool.  Any tricks to doing this "easily"?  Does it require two people to lift the glass out once it is liberated from the frame?
[/quote]

I've always done it with a sharp utility knife. Working all the way around from the inside. Once it is started to get loose, start putting some pressure at the top on both sides by pushing out. Finish cutting it free while continuing to tilt it out.

It helps to have a second pair of hands.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371