Author Topic: exhaust cross pipe  (Read 1308 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
exhaust cross pipe
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
Hi all,

What is the general thought on using a cross pipe for exhaust equalization? I am considering replacing my crush bent exhaust with a Gardner mandrel bent setup, which comes with the cross pipe that can be added or not. Not factory look, but are the benefits enough to overlook that? I know modern muscle cars frequently go for x-pipe type routing as an exhaust upgrade. I should mention this is a driver, not for show, but I do like to keep it as original as possible. Thanks.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: exhaust cross pipe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:34:43 PM »
Don't know about the benefits of the cross pipe, but would suggest looking into a Waldron exhaust. Costs about one half of what the Gardner system does. Even has muffler choices up to loud.
Not bashing Gardner. Have one of their systems on my convertible. But they are really show systems.
Good luck with the search.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
While the Gardner systems are beautiful reproductions, they're not exactly performance-oriented.... pipe bends are rather restrictive, as are the 2" tailpipes. Adding a performance-enhancing crossover still won't bring the performance up to the level of a decent mandrel-bent system. Downside to the performance systems is they likely don't fit as well, especially with stock exhaust manifolds..... customization is likely required.
   I used a 2-1/2" Magnaflow stainless system on my red '66. Trimming the tailpipe sections made it fit nicely at the rear of the car, but it hangs a bit low in the center of car. Also didn't like the loud mufflers, so I replaced them with Walkers.... sounds just right now!

Contact Pypes Exhaust. One of the guys there (Dave?) has a '66 GS they built a system for. They may have downpipes that will fit stock manifolds. Many options for pipes and mufflers to fit your performance/sound requirements.

Dan, does Waldron offer full 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" systems? That might be the best compromise for price vs performance

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
Walt,

Waldron's offers the factory stock 2-1/4" exhaust pipe and 2" tail pipe. Mandrel bent but not a significant upgrade in performance. Mentioned it based on price considerations with almost the same quality.

Pypes is a good suggestion. Wish I'd thought of that. Parts Place in Chicago area sells their systems. Big selection too.

Dan

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:07:02 PM »
I'll call waldron's tomorrow, thanks. Definitely cheaper than Gardner. What they had to see online was still crush bent so I will be interested how much the mandrel bend adds to the pricetag. Thanks gentlemen.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
Let us know what you find out.

Offline texasekberg

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Why make things easy.....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »
I run the Pypes stainless steel 2 1/2" mandrel bent front down runners and cross pipe all the way to Flowmaster stainless series 60 series mufflers and Flowmaster stainless mandrel bent over the rear one piece tail pipes, fits really good and sits high and tight.
A little work on cutting to right length but no welding required if you are ok with 4pcs tube clamps per side, not too loud but if you want a real quiet ones I would go with Flowmaster 70 series muffler.
Br Anton
-65 Skylark 455/TH400/10 bolt 3.08 posi
-65 Skylark Sport Wagon 300/355 ST300 10 bolt 3.08 posi
-64 Skylark Sport Wagon 300/310 ST300 10 bolt 3.08 posi