Author Topic: core support repair or replace  (Read 2842 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
core support repair or replace
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
I made the unpleasant discovery that the body mount under my battery tray has some significant rust damage, looks like at one point the battery must have leaked out and done some damage. The top layer of the core support mount hole is rusted through, the lower layer looks ok. This area seems like it would be pretty difficult to fabricate. Anyone had this problem? I'm thinking may be time to start searching for a replacement 65 core support. If that's the case, can I use one from same year special/skylark? Thanks for any help, this site has been a great find.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: core support repair or replace
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
I think 64 and 65 are the same,as far as the bare core support. I may have a good one if you cannot find one locally,where are you? Maybe somebody else can verify if they interchange. I know the bottom of the radiator is different,but I think those brackets just bolt in.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
A GS will need a cross flow radiator core support. I believe 65 only. A number of 65 Skylarks had them, they are not too hard to find.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
Mark is correct.  The crossflow core support out of a Special or Skylark will work.  Up through December of 64, the 65 special and skylark models used a downflow radiator, but starting in January when the GS was introduced, they switched over to a crossflow radiator and used the same core support as the GS.  The downflow core support will not work in a GS--the GS radiator nor the fan shroud will not mount up to it.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Thanks gentlemen,

Found one from a 65 special, they want $200 which seems like a lot but it is major rust free. I'll poke around more, I'm finding posts from this year for them at closer to $50 but those are long gone. If the bottom bracket/bar looks the same on the special version as mine it should fit, yes? I would think a cross flow lower bracket would look very different.

65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
One quick way to spot a down flow core support is it doesn't have the 3 extruded holes in the top of it for the crossflow radiator cover plate to mount too.  The bottom member under the radiator is shaped differently as well like you stated--it also won't have the two pieces that stick up with rubber bumpers on them that hold the bottom of the fan shroud in place.   Those were made onto separate radiator mount saddles that were screwed into the bottom of the downflow core support.
'89 Ford F-350 4x4

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Just realized I should be signing my name in here. Brian, thanks for the saddle description. The one I found is for downflow, ugh. Is there any way a good fabricator can build the section I need? Three layers of sheetmetal welded together around that mount point, looks challenging to get right. You can't see it with tray in place so I guess as long as it worked it wouldn't have to be super sano. This is going to stay a driver for me. Related issue now is that the inner fender well sheet metal around the screw nearest to the core mount is rotten. Wondering if fabrication is a better option than replacing well. I'm finding the drivers side well pretty easily as Skylark/Specials have the opposite side rust issue from their battery placement. Think the mount holes for tray bracket are on both sides. Damn rust.

Elvin

65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
I would just replace the well since they are so easy to come by from regular skylarks.  Another tip--the core support is assembled out of 4 main parts:  Upper bar, lower bar, Drivers side fender/headlight mount, and Passenger side fender/headlight mount.  The upper and lower bars are what is different between the crossflow and downflow radiators.  If you are up for the task, you can get the downflow core support and cut the upper and lower bars off of your original and put them on the downflow core support.  I have changed the lower bar on one before to take two damaged ones and make one good one, so I know they can be cut apart and welded back together with pieces from multiple different assemblies. 
'89 Ford F-350 4x4

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
Thanks Brian, that might be my option. I also just located a stamped replacement section for that left area of the core along with the left headlight panel from Wolf Steel in Can. I guess it's a matter of which parts are easier to weld together, not my strong suit unfortunately.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
Related to this, has anyone found a correct replacement for the core support mounts? I see that Cars,Inc has a kit, no picture though. I can probably salvage mine but they do show wear and this would be the easy time to replace. Thanks.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
Another education......I looked at two that I have and Mark was way right or I was wrong...The bottom of most of them are a rounded stamping and the GS is more of a wide channel. It looks like it would be very easy to drill out the spot welds on the bottom section and just change them over. The one that I have is not a GS ,but it did have the cross-flow radiator. It was a 4- barrel 300 v-8 car,so apparently had heavier cooling.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »
Related to this, has anyone found a correct replacement for the core support mounts? I see that Cars,Inc has a kit, no picture though. I can probably salvage mine but they do show wear and this would be the easy time to replace. Thanks.

Elvin

I've found some that work with some modification.... the center hole needs to be drilled out larger. I used a hole saw.
I bought them at a swap meet from www.restorationspecialties.com   
I didn't have a part number, but looking at their site just now, they do have two pages with various mounts and their dimensions:
http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/body-mounts-solid-rubber/
We should be able to find something close to the originals. I have measurements......somewhere. Might take me a while to dig them up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:32:43 AM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:23:34 AM »
I would also be interested in those measurements.

Fred Z.

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Elvin, I have a nice rust free, downflow one, I would take $50.00 plus the ride, If we cut the upper and lower bars off, leaving only the ends the shipping should not be to much. Can send or post pictures if you are interested. I am in Omaha, NE, thanks Bill.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Bill,

This might be the way to go. So if I'm understanding this correctly I can get my upper and lower bars free of the LH headlight section and replace that, yes? Can the lower bar come off of yours without damaging the mount point for frame attachment? Mine really just needs the LH side from upper/lower bars over.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto