Author Topic: fender bolts  (Read 1068 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
fender bolts
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Brand new member here. Though I have searched far and wide on the world of web I can't lock down the size and type of correct inner fender bolts for connecting well to fender. I'm the fourth owner of my 65.5 convertible and the formers have mismatched bolt types. Some are dogended, flat tip, and some are pointed. Some are also missing, the reason for my search. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: fender bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Welcome bbbuick,

The size of the fender to inner fender is an inch long with 3/4" being threaded with a pointed end. The thread size is 5/16 18 NC. See photo. They have a 1/2" hex head drive. You might check the usual aftermarket restoration places like Year One, OPG or The Parts Place. Or a Fastenal Supply store may have a close match. Do you have some of these on hand to match? These bolts were commonly used on many years of GM cars so a salvage yard may have what you need.

This Website will be quite helpful to you with any questions you may have regarding your '65 GS.

John

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Thanks John. I should have just asked here, could have saved some hours of searching.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
i may have some spares how many you need

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
You can get new ones from AMK Products. Check out their website. Their part number for these bolts is B-11709. This car uses about 50 of them. My measurements were: 5/16-18x7/8, Conical Hex Washer (.75 OD), 1/2 AF.

FYI to all....I'm in the process of a complete resto. I have and am measuring and keeping record of every fastener (bolt, nut, washer screw) for the entire car. I will post once the car is complete, shortly here, as a reference. I have based the replacements on the AMK product line.

Thanks,
Tony

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
Based on this thread, went out and took a look at my car.  Noticed that the bolts are different on the two fenders, the driver side fender looks like those in this thread, but the passenger side is different.  Tells me the fender must have been off at some time in the past, and whoever put it back on didn't save the original bolts.  I'm going to buy some replacements and fix this, now that I've noticed it, it's annoying!!

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Check out Auveco at www.auveco.com

You will find a great deal of original fasteners.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the Auveco pointer (Re: fender bolts)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
Dear Loren, Keith, Tony, and mid-60s Buick fans,

Check out Auveco at www.auveco.com

You will find a great deal of original fasteners.

I wasn't aware of this outfit.  Does look interesting, I've added them to my copious collection of Buick parts bookmarks.

Thanks for the pointer!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »
Thanks to all. In order to match up all it looks like I'll need quite a few, have 3 dog end types I will swap out for the proper type. Contacted Auveco, they steered me to clipsandfasteners.com as a websales vendor.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
All-right, all-right, bookmarked d'em too!! (Re: fender bolts)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
Dear bbbbuick and mid-60s Buick fans,

Contacted Auveco, they steered me to clipsandfasteners.com as a websales vendor.

:icon_biggrin: . . .  Gee whiz, another bookmark?  :dontknow:

All-right, all-right, I don't take any chances . . . . so I've bookmarked www.clipsandfasteners.com as well . . . . just in case!  :angel4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: