Author Topic: emblem red?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
emblem red?
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
Trying to figure out what the correct shade of red is for the Gran Sport emblems? There is no paint left on mine and the glove box emblem appears orange are/were the outside emblems the same shade and what is it? thanks

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: emblem red?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
I've always thought it strange that the glove box emblem is so different from the other outside emblems. Even though the glove box emblem is orange, the outside, block letter emblems should have a red or red/orange color. What I did was to use Testors enamel paint, one red and one orange.   I slowly added a little orange to the red to get what I thought was close to the original color, a reddish orange, or an orangeish red. More red than orange for sure. Maybe you can find red paint the right shade without mixing. I repainted mine while they were off the car, laying flat on a work bench. I diluted the paint with paint thinner or lacquer thinner. Using a small paint brush, I loaded it up with paint, then touched the paint brush to the letters one at a time. Since there is a cavity with each letter, just fill each letter up with thinned paint. The paint should flow off the paint brush and pool into each letter. Be sure to clean the surface of the emblem to remove any dirt or wax first before painting. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

John

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: emblem red?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »
I think my friend is going to be spraying some viper red (orangy-red) this weekend and I think that will be close enough. Now I just need to figure out how to get the emblems off the glove box door so i can repaint it satin black.