Author Topic: Tail Light Lens Clear Insert - Which way?  (Read 998 times)

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
Tail Light Lens Clear Insert - Which way?
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
Hi All,

I'm reassembling my newly restored tail panels. Boy was that a chore but they look great! And just when I thought it'd be smooth sailing, I got to the point of putting the lenses in and am struggling to figure out what the orientation of the clear insert that goes in the far left or right lens is.

Does it go in with the textured side facing the back of the panel towards the bulb? I assume it does since the textured side of the lenses themselves point that way?  :dontknow:

Thanks for the help!!

Tony

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Tail Light Lens Clear Insert - Which way?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
Hi Tony,

If memory serves me correctly, I believe that you are correct. Textured side facing the bulb. There is a difference between the left and right side. There may be the part number molded into the lenses which will help.  5956570R - 5956569L

John

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Thank you John!

Here they are!

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
Tony,

They look great. Did you have all the pieces re-chromed. I don't see any pits. Yes, it is a lot of work to detail them but the end result is well worth it.

John

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »
Hi John,

Yep, they were re-chromed as was the center medallion.. The pits on the center bars and the outside parts of the tail panel were fixed in the process. There were pits in the channel where the black paint is. Those pits were not. So I had to meticulously mask, fill, sand, fill again, sand again, prime, final sand and paint that channel over. I'm happy with the way they came out. Lots of patience and elbow grease though!

Tony