Author Topic: Tremec 5 speed/crossmember  (Read 1807 times)

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
Tremec 5 speed/crossmember
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
I am just about to put a tremec 5speed in my 65 GS. Does anyone know if I need another cross member? I have one that came with the car and not sure if auto and 4speed cross member are the same. Anyone done this that can shed some light on my project?

Thanks,
Fred Zee

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Tremec 5 speed/crossmember
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
You'll likely  have to move the crossmember back further which will require new frame brackets. Easy to make using large angle Iron or steel tabs welded to the frame.
I put a Richmond 5 speed in my '66 GS. I trimmed and welded tabs onto a wider non-GS crossmember so I could use the original frame mount holes.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »
Hey Walt, Thanks for the reply. You don't happen to have a pic of your setup do you?

Thanks,
Fred Z.

Online Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
Fred, will you need to enlarge your tunnel for the Tremec install?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
I don't know the answer to that question yet. According to Keisler (where I got the trans from before they went out of business) they said it will go in without enlarging. They did send some sheet metal panels though for the tunnel. I am in the process of reading about that now.

Thanks,
Fred Z.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
A non-internet 65 GS owner installed the Keisler Tremec conversion kit in his original 4 speed car. He said that to maintain the original driveshaft angle the floor would need to be modified a bit. However, he did not modify the floor as he felt the angle change was slight enough as to not warrant that.

Post pictures of the conversion and let us know what you learned so others can do this changeover easier in the future.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Dan, Thanks for the info. Do you know if this fellow did indeed have to move the x-member back?

Thanks,
Fred Z.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »
Dan, Thanks for the info. Do you know if this fellow did indeed have to move the x-member back?

Don't know if he did or not. We never discussed that part of it. I will try to call him in the next couple of days.

Dan

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Thanks Dan. If He used a G-Force cross member or something like that, I would like to know.

Fred Z.

Online Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »
Post pictures of the conversion and let us know what you learned so others can do this changeover easier in the future.
Dan

Please post some pixs!  What state is the car in now, engine and auto trany installed or out of the car?

I installed a 4L60E in my 65 Special (same frame) and had to move the cross member aft three inches, as mention earlier it is very easy to do.

I do not think the auto and manual cross members are the same. Someone have an assembly manual? 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Fred,

Got in touch with the guy who did the conversion. He used the original 4 speed cross member. Had to move it back. His memory was that he used the original rear frame holes for the cross member and then drilled two more holes behind those - but he wasn't positive. Said that the original cross member also needs to be modified on the front portion to fit the Tremec. Just a small grind out to get it to seat correctly. The breather on the top of the transmission did hit his hump so he put some grease on it and then raised the transmission into place to mark where it hit then used a ball peen hammer to 'adjust' the hump to get clearance. He noted it was a tight fit, with maybe 1/4" of space in the tight areas, but he has put a lot of miles on his car after the conversion and has had no problems. He did not cut out any sheet metal.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Offline freddie.zee65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:12 AM »
Thanks for the info Dan. Sounds like it should be easy enough. I'll keep you all posted.

Fred Z.