Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 646 times)

Offline joereich

• Crazy about Buick!
Starting problems
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »
I have what I think is a unique problem, I just had my motor rebuilt and installed a high torque stater, everything works great but when the motor is hot the starter just clicks once (if I still turn the ignition about 20 times it will even-tionally start), we checked all the wires and found some old repairs and replaced them thinking its loosing some juice it helped but it still does it. The only thing I can think of is the neutral safety switch or ignition is robbing some juice when the starter is hot. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
Isolate the purple wire going to the starter. When the engine is hot ,and not running,put the purple wire to your positive post and see if it cranks. Unfortunately,new is not always better. I put three new high torques on my CHEVROLET before getting a good one. On my Buick,I just paid an old guy to rebuild the old Delco,and it actually worked the first time with two discontinued pieces.

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
Isolate the purple wire going to the starter. When the engine is hot ,and not running,put the purple wire to your positive post and see if it cranks. Unfortunately,new is not always better. I put three new high torques on my CHEVROLET before getting a good one. On my Buick,I just paid an old guy to rebuild the old Delco,and it actually worked the first time with two discontinued pieces.

I bought a new hi-torque from Tom Telsco and it worked fine for a while but then nothing. Had 12v to the hot wire from the switch and I put on new connectors thinking there was a bad connection....still nothing. Could start the engine jumping from the purple wire to the starter. Talked to Tom and he thinks I have a bad connection at the firewall bulkhead fitting which gives me 12v when disconnected but to much resistance to crank. At this time I am not interested in tearing into that wiring so I will be installing a separate push button starter button on the bottom of the dash.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline joereich

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
Thanks for the help I have already isolated the purple wire, and the starter starts when directly contacted. I guess my next option is wiring it directly with a solenoid I just wanted to keep it like it came from the factory

Thanks

Joe

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Go back to your original thought and bypass the safety switch. We had these same issues on a 65 nova and I am thinking it ended up being a worn out ignition switch,but who knows without putting a load tester on that side of the switch.Simply having power with a test  light means nothing because the wire could be nearly wore in two pieces somewhere. My friend just bought an old Monte Carlo,and the wiring was so cobbled that I told him to buy a fire extinguisher. Just fix the problem,even if you have to replace wiring harnesses,it is no big deal on these cars. Make sure your firewall connector looks clean and non-corroded.