Author Topic: Antenna Replacement  (Read 720 times)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
Antenna Replacement
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »
I just got my radio repaired and an FM tuner added to it. When I had the radio in the car, it was deader than a doornail.  The radio guy said, however, that the radio was working - not well, but working.  I made sure it was getting power, so that was not the issue. The guy said that it was more than likely an antenna problem.

So, I went to OReilly and got a power antenna to put in. I worked on it today to install it.  I removed the inner fender to get access to it, but it is not visible with the inner panel removed. I see the blower motor, but not the antenna.

So, then I took off the passenger side kick panel and it is still not visible.  I unscrewed the antenna from the base, but that got me nowhere. I pulled the fender loose and still do not see how to get it out.

Can anyone shed some light on my issue?  My guess is that I will need to completely remove the front fender to get access to it.  Ughhhh!!  Then again, maybe I should take my fancy power antenna back to OReilly and just get a new mast to screw into the base.

Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Antenna Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:57:15 AM »
You get to the antenna base by removing the cowl grille under the windshield wipers.  Are you getting any sound out of the radio?  My experience is that the speaker is what goes bad--not the antenna.  50 years of sun on the paper speaker cone makes them turn into dust. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)