Author Topic: Fuel line routing  (Read 880 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Fuel line routing
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »
 This 401 is my first Buick big block,  I could use some help fixing a small problem. I have a small fuel leak at the fuel filter that needs repair. However I am not sure of the correct fuel line routing

Could someone please snap a picture of the fuel line routing from the fuel pump to the carb including the filter with the air cleaner off.

This is a 401 single four barrel with air-conditioning. 

I found this diagram in the electronic garage manual but it does not show brackets locations and routing.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Fuel line routing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:49:47 AM »
Old picture of a car I used to own. There is only one bracket - the one that holds the fuel filter. Everything else is just rubber fuel lines and clamps.
Found another picture of Mark Ascher's car. Hope these help.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:54:46 AM by dsags »
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
 Thanks Dan for your speedy reply; the pictures raise a new question. One has a return line and the other does not. Is the return line (mine has one) really necessary or can the pump bypass internally?

Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, the engineers knew what they where doing back then. But for the new BBB guy it sure looks like getting fuel to the right side of the engine was late engineering decision when the 401 was installed. I envision someone saying oh my the fuel pump is on the other side on this one.   
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
Fuel filters on air conditioned cars had the return line, while non AC cars did not.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
Like Tom says - its really necessary. Don't ask how I know. LOL
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
Well I understand why they wanted to keep the fuel moving on an AC car. Close quarters in there for a fuel line especially a rubber one. Has anyone made a steel line for the pump to the carburetor feed line?

Using the picture I routed the feed line outside of the AC/Alt bracket to the filter. I ran the return line down the forward side of the power steering bracket but suspect it should go down the back side of the bracket??

I did get the leak fixed and hope it will help with a slow starting issue. I believe the fuel was running back down the line to the tank as a result of the leaking return line at the filter. If the engine had not been started in a couple of days it would require excessive cranking time to get fuel to the carburetor, hope it helps.

Thanks again for your help guys.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio