Author Topic: Clutch kit  (Read 6005 times)

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Clutch kit
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Throwout bearing is unique to the Nailheads and not available through the normal channels.  If you have the original throwout bearing assembly, the bearing can be pressed off the collar and replaced.  The part number for the bearing itself has been discussed multiple times on this site before, so if you do a search, you should be able to find it easily.

Would you trust the correct throwout bearing from Centerforce?  I've searched their site for clutch assemblies that fit a 65 GS.  At first, it seemed they had none, since the only engine options shown for a 65 Skylark were the sixes and the 300 V8.  Then I stumbled onto the fact that for a 66 Skylark, they show the 401 V8 option and they offer kits for both the Centerforce II and the Dual Friction products.  The kits contain throwout bearings.  I would assume that a kit for a Nailhead would include the correct throwout bearing, but that could highlight the ass in me that the assumption brings out! :tard:
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
PS:  What do you guys do about the flywheel in a 4 speed restoration?  Simply reface the old one or buy new?  If new, what do you recommend?

Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
Throw out bearing and holder assembly is availabe through terrill machine 254-893-2610 I think their part
Number is TT- 1145 Thanks again Brian for the info! Got the center force clutch the other day!quote author=cwmcobra link=topic=1846.msg12606#msg12606 date=1425313688]
Throwout bearing is unique to the Nailheads and not available through the normal channels.  If you have the original throwout bearing assembly, the bearing can be pressed off the collar and replaced.  The part number for the bearing itself has been discussed multiple times on this site before, so if you do a search, you should be able to find it easily.

Would you trust the correct throwout bearing from Centerforce?  I've searched their site for clutch assemblies that fit a 65 GS.  At first, it seemed they had none, since the only engine options shown for a 65 Skylark were the sixes and the 300 V8.  Then I stumbled onto the fact that for a 66 Skylark, they show the 401 V8 option and they offer kits for both the Centerforce II and the Dual Friction products.  The kits contain throwout bearings.  I would assume that a kit for a Nailhead would include the correct throwout bearing, but that could highlight the ass in me that the assumption brings out! :tard:
[/quote]