Author Topic: 65 Gran Sport Engine Mounts  (Read 1556 times)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Gran Sport Engine Mounts
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »
I am rebuilding my engine and found that one engine mount is WAY wrong.   It has wrong rubber profile and only a 3 bolt mounting base.

Steele can vulcanize new rubber, but they have no steel cores to work with.

If someone has one or a pair of cores,  I would like to buy them and send them to Steele.

Ted
309-256-9860
Missouri
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Gran Sport Engine Mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
Ted,

The 3 sounds like you have a Chevy mount, somewhere there is a write up about using Chevy mounts.

The engine mounting is the same on both fullsize mounts and GS mounts the difference is how it mounts to the frame (bolt hole full size vs. u-shaped GS) so if you can find a few of those you would have that half and maybe you can use the bottom of the Chevy mount you have or bend your own or depending on how "correct" you are going for you could always modify your plates and just get new Chevy mounts though from the sounds of it your plates maybe modified already

good luck there was a set on Evil-Bay about a week or so ago,

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the response, Jim.

I see that Original Parts Group carries the mounts for $36.99 each, which is not bad.  The picture of the mount, however, looks different than what I have.  The pad they show only appears to have 2 bolt holes, rather then the 4 on my mount,  and the "ears" that the cross bolt goes through to the frame mount has 2 holes, rather than a single hole. This may be a generic picture, so it may not be an issue. The ad says it is an original duplication.  I guess I will order a set from them and see if it is correct.

If, as you say, this is the same mount used in the big car, I would guess that I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a set of cores to send to Steele.

Ted
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Nonono... don't believe OPG, they are wrong! Note that their catalog says they fit 65-68 401's and 70-72 455's. Obviously they don't know the difference between a 67-up 400 and a 65-66 401 Nailhead! :BangHead:
http://www.opgi.com/skylark/1965/chassis-suspension/bushings-mounts/S230366/

The 3 bolt Chev mounts will work if you drill another hole in the adapter plates.
Another option is to use the upper half of the chev mounts and vulcanize them to the bottom of the full-size cars' mounts.... I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but Pat G did something similar. Riv mount from OPG:
http://www.opgi.com/riviera/1965/chassis-suspension/bushings-mounts/S230370/

You can try contacting the Buick Farm, CARS, or Russ Martin...  they might have something in stock.
http://www.buickfarm.net
www.oldbuickparts.com
http://nailheadbuick.com

Finally, here's a pic of a correct GS mount next to the 3 bolt chev mount:

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
I have an original set that needs new rubber.  I bought them off of ebay when my machine shop told me they lost one of mine.  Of course, after I bought the set  off ebay they found the missing one.   I paid way too much for them (something like $350 - a ridiculous amount) but would be willling to let them go for less than i paid (but still not as cheap as they should be).  $250.

If you want them, email me at:     jkeena@     hjlawfirm.com       There should be no space after the "@" but i did not want scammers to be able to pick up my email while trolling.

Good Luck

Rob Keena
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed