Author Topic: Oil Pan Removal 65 Skylark GS  (Read 1541 times)

Offline handcrafted

• Buick Fan
    • Bayne Junction Woodworks
Oil Pan Removal 65 Skylark GS
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
I'm posting this on behalf of my father. He has a 65 Skylark GS 401 Nailhead and my son has been attempting to help remove the oil pan, and there is one bolt to the front of the oil pan even with the drag link removed they are not able to get this one bolt out. The question at hand here: Are there any of you that have had a similar experience and or do you know the proper procedure for removing the oil pan. Thank you for your time.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Oil Pan Removal 65 Skylark GS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Please let us know your name. I guess I have to ask - why does the pan need to come off? It will probably be necessary to unbolt the motor mounts from the frame brackets, and raise the engine enough to get some wood blocks in to hold it up. Raising it will give you more room to work removing pan bolts as well.

If you can take any pics and post them , that might help too.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Will definitely have to remove the motor mount bolts and the dust shield from the transmission. In addition the upper fan shield that attaches to the radiator support must be removed. Then you can jack up the engine until the transmission is touching or almost rubbing on the transmission tunnel. Do not put the jack on the oil pan but instead place a block of wood on the damper or crank pulley. You should be able to place some blocks of wood under the exhaust manifolds to hold it in place once you have it jacked up. If you have an automatic transmission the cooler lines will make it a very tight fit coming out. Also, I unbolted the exhaust pipes but I am not sure it was necessary.

Brian Stone helped me a great deal when I did this on a 65 GS a couple of weeks ago.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline handcrafted

• Buick Fan
    • Bayne Junction Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »
Thanks Mark and Dan, that confirms what I had already suggested the process to be. I should be over at Dads in the next few days and will try to post up some pics for you guys. She's a gorgeous ole Red car white interior floor shift automatic, and been garaged most her life. Originally came from some warehouse the previous owner got it from and Dad bought it back in 1980 I think. My collectables consist of a mix, 46 chevy p.u., 64 Ford F500 box truck, a 78' Power wagon W300 and my daily driver a 88 Dodge B250 4x4 van. Great forum here, keep up the good work. Myself I'm a cabinet maker with my own shop and do custom artistic woodworking if anybody ever needs wood work I do it all and metal fabrication.
Don
www.palmerbayne.com