Author Topic: Wiring Harness- too Short!!??  (Read 1280 times)

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Wiring Harness- too Short!!??
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
finally putting the headlight wire harness in and the horn and red power will not reach the horn relay and junction block!  its a straight run from the fuse block, wire will not stretch the extra 3/4 inch to make the connection.  WTH.  Is a 66 horn junction closer?  harness is used and came from buying a bunch of parts - it has the right connections, even 4-speed reverse wires.
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Wiring Harness- too Short!!??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »
Ted,

If I am not mistaken, I think that the positive battery cable for a '66 GS is about an inch longer than that of a '65 GS. Perhaps this is because the horn relay/junction block is a little closer to the firewall, hence, the shorter length in that wiring harness connection. Is there somebody out there who has both a '66 and a '65 GS who can verify?

John.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
Is there somebody out there who has both a '66 and a '65 GS who can verify?

John.

Who, me? :icon_biggrin:

OK, checked my '66 GS.....horn relay terminal post is 9-3/8" from the firewall, relay terminal post to headlight opening in rad support is 32", another 2-3" to the headlight.

Wire length from harness to horn relay is 3", 4" to the end of plug.

Ted, you could add a short length of fusible link to the red power lead.....avail at NAPA, and it's a good way to protect against an elec fire in case something shorts out.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
For the moment I'm turning the horn relay 180* and using a jumper for the horn, which will not function for a while anyway since I'm temporarily using a cadillac steering wheel and can't figure out the connection at the steering wheel for the horn.

lots of little things to hook up; I started the car and its running, sounds fantastic, seems like the engine wants to rev. in a good way!
tonight I have to repack wheel bearings in front, plug everthing into the dash, see if the lights work - maybe pull it out under its own power for the first time since '84 when some california hot rodder took the engine & trans and left this poor GS to rot.
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's