Author Topic: Modern fuse block?  (Read 356 times)

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
Modern fuse block?
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »
Curious -

Without using a "universal" wiring kit, it is possible to use/marry a modern "blade" style fuse block to an original (or original reproduction) wiring harness?
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Modern fuse block?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:16:09 PM »

Dan,

I haven't seen anything yet.  It is one of the things I have been contemplating for the modified Skylark project.

The hurdle to get over is the connection at the firewall for the engine and light harness .  I will have to think more seriously on this.  It's got to look good and function well also. 

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Have seen something in the past (Re: Modern fuse block?)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »
Dear Dan, Loren, and mid-60s Buick electricians,

Without using a "universal" wiring kit, it is possible to use/marry a modern "blade" style fuse block to an original (or original reproduction) wiring harness?

I have seen purported replacement fuse boxes that replace the original glass fuse boxes and are supposed to occupy the same space as the original fuse box.  I would presume that is to reconnect to the original wiring harness.

Alas, I cannot find anything like this in my quick search.  I'll try to look into this tomorrow and see if there is any fact in this fiction.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Vaporware ?? (Re: Modern fuse block?)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
Dear Dan, Loren, and mid-60s Buick electricians,

I have seen purported replacement fuse boxes that replace the original glass fuse boxes and are supposed to occupy the same space as the original fuse box.  I would presume that is to reconnect to the original wiring harness.

Alas, I cannot find anything like this in my quick search.  I'll try to look into this tomorrow and see if there is any fact in this fiction.

In one of those "twilight zone" experiences, I sure remember seeing on eBay a "blade" style fuse box with correct proportions that claimed to fit our cars and offered some additional circuits.  :icon_scratch:  However, whatever I throw at the web today, I can't scare up any evidence of such a thing.  It probably was an item incorrectly listed as fitting a 1965 Buick A-body.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
At least - one on eBay! (Re: Modern fuse block?)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick electricians,

In one of those "twilight zone" experiences, I sure remember seeing on eBay a "blade" style fuse box with correct proportions that claimed to fit our cars and offered some additional circuits.  :icon_scratch: 

Ah ha!  It has certainly been a while but here is a purported blade style fuse box for 1964-67 Buick Skylarks on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1967-Buick-Skylark-Wire-Harness-Fuse-Block-Upgrade-Kit-hot-rod-rat-rod/263919723949

So what is this thing actually?  :icon_scratch:  Well, I'm not sure either, but at least the community can take a look at the evidence and decide for itself!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
This is the website of the outfit making that harness, in case anyone wants to contact them to ask questions.

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com

If it has the correct terminal block connector for the front/engine harnesses, that would be a selling point for me.

My connectors are so old, and will not hold adequately, and the new fuse block that came with my dash harness is made of a much more flexible/softer plastic so I took two small pieces of wood and fashioned small support blocks for the sides of the fuse block to keep it from deforming.

I drilled four small holes in the fuse block and used tie straps to go around the block, through the firewall and back inside to encompass the two harness connectors to the block.

It works, but is a real pain if I have to separate things and put it together again. (did that twice already adding non-resistance wire for Pertronix ignition and another for a trigger source for a relay)
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for the manufacturer link. (Re: Modern fuse block?)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
Dear Michael and mid-60s Buick owners who seek as much parts information as they can find!

This is the website of the outfit making that harness, in case anyone wants to contact them to ask questions.

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com

If it has the correct terminal block connector for the front/engine harnesses, that would be a selling point for me.

Thanks for the reference.  I didn't have this company in my electrical supplier bookmarks for whatever reason.  I couldn't find this particular product on their website, but it could be a database glitch or something.

My connectors are so old, and will not hold adequately, and the new fuse block that came with my dash harness is made of a much more flexible/softer plastic so I took two small pieces of wood and fashioned small support blocks for the sides of the fuse block to keep it from deforming.
. . . .

Sorry you had such a struggle with the reproduction fuse block you ended up with.  There is a real problem with reproduction plastic parts not being as tough as the parts of the 1960s.  Perhaps it has something to do with the attempt to recycle post-consumer plastic in the beads fed to the injection machines.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
I believe you are correct.

When I take the Highway, I take the Gunny Highway. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!