Author Topic: Brake Drum Questions  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Brake Drum Questions
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
I received this question today via email and I thought I'd post it here and let you guys respond to it.

===========================================================================

I am trying to find out what type Front Drums were used in the '64 & '65 Skylark.

I am a Pontiac guy.

The Tempest including GTO got a Motor Wheel Corp. Front Drum with a corrugated steel shell (no fins) in '64 & '65.

The Pontiac p/n is 9776183.  We find lots of examples of this drum.
Readily identified by an ink stamp that still survives on some examples.  By one of the wheel stud holes it is stamped into the metal with "CENTRIFUSE" a registered trademark of Motor Wheel Corp. It is also stamped with a date code in an unusual format.  Plus what we believe is the Motor Wheel p/n 35454.

Same drum was used with the Metallic Brake Lining option, same drum but given p/n 9776701.  The only difference, the contact surface finish was "mirror like" according to a PMD Service memo that described the option.  The finish for the standard organic linings would have been coarser, hence the different p/n.

But at least one original '64 GTO owner recalls his original drums having fins, he remembers questioning it when he bought new replacement smooth front drums many years ago.

Car was built at Fremont (same as mine but months apart and mine has the non-finned type, still original) so I began to wonder if perhaps a different Div Front Drum was substituted on his build either by error or because of a parts shortage perhaps.

Doesn't look like Chevy used a finned front drum on the '64 Chevelle. 
Nor Olds as far as I can discover.

That leaves Buick as a possibility.

Do you know?  Can you identify an original p/n for a '64 Skylark finned Front Drum?  Who produced it?  What applications was it used for?  And did some Skylark applications use the corrugated steel shell type from Motor Wheel and what was the '64 p/n for it?

Anything you can tell me about this would be helpful.  If you have any jpegs of original '64 front drums, would be great to see those too.

Thanks in advance,
John V.
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Brake Drum Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
64 and 65 Skylark both used the same part number front drum, and they were finned.  Same drum between GS and regular Skylark/Special as well.  Never seen a 64 or 65 with a smooth drum.  The 66 and 67 also used a finned front drum and it is interchangeable with the 64/65 drum, but is shaped differently and is visibly different. 
  In addition, the 64-67 Buicks used finned rear drums.  These are the same 64-67. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Brake Drum Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
i have some finned drums complete front assemblies 2 off 65 and 1 off 66  i am selling 3 sets total
contact bobbybuick@sbcglobal.net
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:11:14 PM by bobbybuick »