Author Topic: Tires for 65 GS  (Read 5641 times)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Tires for 65 GS
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »
Keith,

I put Hankook Optimo H24 215/75-14 whitewalls on for use as daily driver. Believe Milton (MKD) did also. Inexpensive, good quality, nice ride. Correct size too. Tire Rack has a set on eBay for $316 with free shipping. Bought mine for about that price from Discount Tire.

Good luck,  Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Keith

Like Dan indicated I purchased a set of the R75 14 WW last spring as drivers and they have worked out just fine so far especially considering the price.

The WW are less than 1" and are radials but you indicated you weren't concerned about show points at this time.

I consider these worth looking at and see what fits you.

Good Hunting.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline Bigpig455

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Fastest of the Slow!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
I've actually got a set of those Hankooks too. The WW is a good width, but the crazily huge ghost branding on the side doesn't do much for me.

I took off a set of repro Coker Silvertown redlines, which actually hooked remarkably well at the track. I wanted to buy the same tire in a pinstripe white, but it would have cost me over 1000.00. So I gave the Hankooks a go and actually like them very much. We'll see how well they hook this spring, but I am not expecting much.....
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1973 Gran Sport Stage 1 4-spd
1971 GS455 Stage 1 hdtp
1972 Pontiac Grandville Conv.

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
well.. Not tryn' to beat a dead horse but... I purchased a set of "stones" red lines for my original 65 to match the original spare dated 3 66 in the trunk...  these are mounted on original and CORRECT 65 Ralley wheels.   I stripped, sanded and restored the wheels applying the correct charcoal silver metallic 2K paint with a satin finish clearcoat.

My car MAY/mayNOT be entered into 'Survivor Class" havent decided yet... and Im not certain having red lines will make a huge difference in that class,  I just like the look of the red lines.... 
I dont know enuf about the Survivor class yet... but Im sure I will be informed on this site.... :thumbsup:

Wheelz, Tampa Bay

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:11:21 PM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
Guys - thanks, all, for the great info and feedback.  I decided to go with the BFG blackwalls, $120 each at America's Tire (also known as Discount Tire).  The Hankook's were a bit cheaper, at $73 each, but other than the whitewall, I didn't like the look of the tire; to be frank (and I'm not trying to insult anybody here), they looked like they belonged on a Mitsubishi Eclipse or something like that; just didn't look like a tire that should be on a muscle car.  I went with the 215/70/14, a smidge over $600 out the door, mounted and balanced, including sales tax (9.0%), and the wonderful environmental and disposal fees this state levies on us.  Love the look, and they don't rub the front fenders any more  :hello2:

Wheelz, I love the redline look as well, but just couldn't justify the extra $100 per tire to satisfy that love.  :crybaby2:

Keith
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:47:53 AM by campfamily »
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles