Author Topic: Tonneau cover question  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
Tonneau cover question
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »
My new (to me) 65GS has the cover for the lowered top permanently fixed to the top of the back seat. There are small screws that hold the cover to the back of the seat at the very top. The manual says that the cover is removable. It is supposed to be attached by a hook and loop system; I assume this is Velcro. Has anyone seen a permanently attached cover, or is this a quick and dirty fix for old Velcro? What is the best way to put this back to the way it should be?
Thanks,
Alan
1965 GS Convertible
New to me driver with new and exciting discoveries every day. (Mostly bad, but still exciting)

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Tonneau cover question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
On my Big Cars the boot slides into a channel that is mounted @ the back of the seat.  it slides out to the side.
I think I had the the velcro type on a 68 Buick...
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
On my '65 GS convertibles, there is a Velcro like product, hook and loop, used to attach the front portion of the top boot cover. The fuzzy part is at the top back edge of the rear seat back. The hook portion was on the leading edge of the top boot. However, at highway speeds the wind would always blow the connection apart. So I rarely ever used my top boot. Sounds to me like someone did a quick fix to Alan's convertible.

John

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. The manual says that it is possible to remove the part of the hook and loop fastener at the top of the rear seat by sliding it sideways. I'll get a closer look soon and if I find out anything I'll share it here.
Alan
1965 GS Convertible
New to me driver with new and exciting discoveries every day. (Mostly bad, but still exciting)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Alan,

It might be possible to put fresh Velcro in it's place.

John

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
Thanks John. If I can convert it back to a velcro attachment I will. Maybe today's velcro will do better than the original. I know a few tricks to keep the air from gettting under the vinyl that may help. Again, if they work you'll see them here.
Alan
1965 GS Convertible

Online campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Just curious, where does the boot go when the top is up?  Do you flip it over into the well behind the seat?
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
When the convertible top is up, the boot is stored in a black plastic bag in the trunk. The plastic bag is about 1' wide and 3' long. They are available through Year One and probably other aftermarket suppliers.

John

Description:Top boot storage bag for 1964-1972 models. Reproduction.Part Number:RF2250MSRP:$7.99

Online campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
When the convertible top is up, the boot is stored in a black plastic bag in the trunk. The plastic bag is about 1' wide and 3' long. They are available through Year One and probably other aftermarket suppliers.

John

Description:Top boot storage bag for 1964-1972 models. Reproduction.Part Number:RF2250MSRP:$7.99

John - yes, I know that; that is how mine is, but mine is not permanently attached to the back of the rear seat.  I'm curious how the OP does it, since his boot is permanently attached to the rear seat; where does the boot go then, if it can't be removed from the seat??

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 07:49:26 AM »
Keith,

I believe that Alan's convertible boot was a "quick and dirty fix" by a previous owner and not factory. I suppose the only thing Alan can do is flop it back into the well behind the seat when the top is up.

John

Online campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
Keith,

I believe that Alan's convertible boot was a "quick and dirty fix" by a previous owner and not factory. I suppose the only thing Alan can do is flop it back into the well behind the seat when the top is up.

John

Got it....thanks for the clarification.

Offline Alan B

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
Yes, my quick and dirty cover can be flipped into the well when the top is up. It doesn't all fit and the need to bend the seams backward when folding it likely explains several splits is what is otherwise a nice original part  :sad1:.
Alan
1965 GS Convertible