Author Topic: Correct color and finish for the Rally rim  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
Correct color and finish for the Rally rim
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
All,

I have been reading the threads in relation to the correct color and finish for the Rally rims and thought I should post this. I pulled my spare from the trunk the other day in order to clean the trunk and have the tire flipped so the whitewall is facing inboard, I don't care for the whitewall look.
      When the local tire shop removed the spare tire from the rim, it started to crumble and was determined to be a tire from 1997. (Good thing I don't like whitewalls). Dan (dsags) asked that I check for any markings inside the rim once I pull it and all I could find was the stamp 14x6 JK Unistyle and under that is stamped Made in the USA.
        I was not able to find any dates or other stamps as of yet, lots of surface rust. What I find peculiar is how my rim is painted. I was reading from the other posts that the center should be gray, which is correct for the 65, and should also be chromed along the spokes, not shot peened and textured like the 66 rim.
       My rim is welded inside in four places only and each of the welds has gray paint applied, only on the welds, no place else. The outside center of the rim is painted black, not gray. The center spokes are chrome and all of the other rims on the car are gray painted Rally rims.
       I am assuming that this is the original spare rim for the car. I will be sending it out for refinish soon and hope to find a date code stamped somewhere inside the rim.
       I was inquiring about the proper color of gray and read that Seymour Stainless Steel Spray paint is a close match. I was also informed that GM makes a couple of different colors that are argent and a good match is the lighter of the two.
      I will give McWheels (sp) a call and see what he recommends. I was also reading a thread from another board and found that Rally America has done the Rally rims and did a good job.
       As you can see from the photos, the welds are painted gray but the center is painted black and it has chrome spokes. More confusion?

Mike Jones :icon_salut:
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto
87 Grand National daily driver

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Correct color and finish for the Rally rim
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
Decent pic of inside rim.
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
here is a picture of my spare from my donar car

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »
you know it almost looks the shape of the stock shock paint

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
The paint is available from Tower Paint in Appleton, WI  http://www.apstowerpaint.com/ The paint code is 201834. Description is Titanium Metallic.
The color is what was used on my wheels. See the pictures here http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,1466.0.html
Jonesy,
The spare is the original. Only 65 wheels have the four separate vs. one continuous weld. No date or code stamped is just another early wheel indication.
Mc Wheels does put together nice driver quality wheels but there are better wheels elsewhere. IMO
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 07:48:47 PM by dsags »
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »
With your car being as nice as it is and that wheel being that rusty, I would be suspicious that the wheel is not original to the car.  Do the other 4 wheels on the car have good chrome on them and are they '65 wheels? 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Brian,
     I haven't crawled underneath to verify the welds but they are all argent gray in color and are 14 inch. The rust is very minimal on the rims that are on the car. I was curious as to why the spare is an original 65 rim but is painted black in the center?
     Who is recommended for the refurbish? Any ideas? I'm only doing the spare. The others do not need it. Don't know if you noticed the damage along the edge where it was dropped or rode a curb?
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »
I placed an order with tower and they said they did not :dontknow: know what this code was ??
The paint is available from Tower Paint in Appleton, WI  http://www.apstowerpaint.com/ The paint code is 201834. Description is Titanium Metallic.
The color is what was used on my wheels. See the pictures here http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,1466.0.html
Jonesy,
The spare is the original. Only 65 wheels have the four separate vs. one continuous weld. No date or code stamped is just another early wheel indication.
Mc Wheels does put together nice driver quality wheels but there are better wheels elsewhere. IMO

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
DL,

Maybe this will jog their memories. Ask for Chris. She should know.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks Dan .
Im working with Kris . Ill forward the pic to her .
DL

PS I see the problem now, it's FORD paint  :protest:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:58:26 PM by dl7265 »