Author Topic: So Power sreering brackets and alt brackets are engine color???  (Read 1042 times)

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
looked through the gallery and see both black and engine color .Looks to my like all are supposed to be engine color other than the aluminum lower alt bracket?Also are engine plates painted or raw cast?

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: So Power sreering brackets and alt brackets are engine color???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi,

I believe all the brackets are suppose to be engine color, but I have seen and have a few that are both ways

They best way to look at it is when the engine came thru the line they would add everything and paint it all at once so the Alt and PS brackets would be least time consuming to leave on the engine vs. paint the engine, paint brackets separately, take bolts off the engine and then install, believe this would be true for your starter and Fuel pump as well someone here might know better

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
Starter was painted black on the nailheads.  The 300 and V6 engines had the starter painted engine color.  Fuel pump is painted engine color. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
It varies....
On my '66's, upper power steering bracket are all engine color. Not sure on the support bar, but the pumps are always black.

The upper alt bracket is engine color on my 2 Fremont-built cars, and black on my Baltimore-built cars.
My '65 had NO paint on the upper alt bracket! It was built in Baltimore, August 1965.  So you have 3 choices for paint (or no paint)! :icon_biggrin:
Lower alt bracket, bare aluminum on all my cars.

Engine mount adapter plates: no paint.

I'd speculate the alt and brackets were installed after the engine was painted. Engines were painted at the Flint facility, and shipped to the various assembly plants where accessories were installed.

Brian, I'll take your comment one step further and say there should be 'some' paint on the fuel pump....basically overspray on the base, but the whole thing wasn't necessarily painted. Again, it will vary depending on which worker painted it.

BTW, all my bellhousings didn't have paint on them. What have you guys observed?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal