Author Topic: MY 65 Post 4 SPEED restore OFFICIALLY STARTED 7-1-2012 goal complete by 2015  (Read 12534 times)

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
My name is Bob Slusser Im 54 My first car when I was 15 was a 4 SPEED GS.I PICKED UP THE PARTS CAR OVER THE WEEKEND.Started on the 4 speed console today and I have a Slideshow started
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17586947@N08/sets/72157626669009156/show/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:03:25 PM by bobbybuick »

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
posting some updates going to Hy-Blast tomarrow .Still looking for a frame

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
more pics

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Hi Bob,

From one of your earlier posts, I believe that you said your frame was bent in the front horn. From what I see in the photo, your frame looks really nice and solid. You'd be amazed at how easily a good frame shop can bend your frame back to factory specs. It seems to me that it would be cheaper than replacing it with a non-numbers matching frame. Once it's been straighten, blasted and painted, it will look like new. Just my humble opinion. The body looks really straight and clean. Just make sure that it's NOT blasted with sand or it will warp the sheet metal. Photos are great, keep us updated with your progress.

John 

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Hi Bob,

From one of your earlier posts, I believe that you said your frame was bent in the front horn. From what I see in the photo, your frame looks really nice and solid. You'd be amazed at how easily a good frame shop can bend your frame back to factory specs. It seems to me that it would be cheaper than replacing it with a non-numbers matching frame. Once it's been straighten, blasted and painted, it will look like new. Just my humble opinion. The body looks really straight and clean. Just make sure that it's NOT blasted with sand or it will warp the sheet metal. Photos are great, keep us updated with your progress.

John
John hey thanks alot .That is an option however the frame guy thats looked at it wasnt quite as optimistic.the frame and body are both bent .looks like it was hit hard in the front cowl area and the body is bent in at the bottom .the frame is out of spec almost 2 inches.I am going to have another frame guy at Carls body shop look at it next week.Carls does restores and collision work

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
Bob,

That's alot of fantastic pictures in your "flickr" folder. Why did Buick use the Special interior panels in the post coupe GS cars? Will you be putting the vacuum gauge in the consolette or the static Buick emblem? I like the tissue dispenser, to me that says "old school". That is a tissue dispenser, correct?
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto
87 Grand National daily driver

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
That is a damb good question.I dont know why .I found good panels ,the seats are fair but no one i have found have the correct covers.I couldnt justify a tach in the console so I got the vacuum gauge .I am putting old school tach on the column and dixcos under the ash tray

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Bob,

What color is the interior ? If its black keep a look out for 1965 Specials for the interior pieces. No one reproduces any of the interior pieces. If its a basic color you can trying dyeing the panels and covers with SEM or similar products.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
It's looking really good Bob and I think you are going to end up with one heck of a car.  I'm glad that you're saving this car and there will be another very rare four speed 65 GS bad on the road.

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Can you post some pics of where the frame damage is?  Depending on where it is, you can cut that section out of a regular skylark/special frame and weld it into your boxed GS frame and make it a good frame again.  From the firewall forward, the regular and boxed frames are identical.   If you cut and tacked it together, an experienced welder could weld it up without warping it and it would be just as strong or stronger than when it was new. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Dropped off at Hyblast today going to look at a frame 5 hr drive tomarrow
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:13:11 PM by bobbybuick »

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Painting chassis parts friday

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
worked my ass off today

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Looking good.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Wish I had that sort of spare time from work. :angry5:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: MY 65 Post 4 SPEED restore OFFICIALLY STARTED 7-1-2012 goal complete by 2015
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 02:27:42 AM »
took a vacation day just to do this the storm is coming in today and i painted everything outside