Author Topic: 2012 BPG Event - August 3rd and 4th  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: 2012 BPG Event - August 3rd and 4th
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
I just got back from what turned out to be a pretty good day at the BPG event.  I flushed my engine out yesterday and changed the oil with SAE 30.  I added a bottle of zinc additive and the engine tick went completely away.  My guess is that I had a stuck lifter and the engine flush loosened everything back up.  Since she was running good, I decided to drive her to the event and I didn't hear a single tick from the engine the entire day. 

While there, I finally got to meet Jimmy Stewart and his son Thomas and I checked out his green GS (picture of us attached).  I saw Jan's new Wildcat but I couldn't find Jan.   :dontknow:  I passed the word around that I would like to meet him but it never happened.  I hung out for most of the day looking for familiar faces but I didn't see anyone else that I knew.  There were about 70 cars on the show field and they actually paid out cash prizes if you wanted to enter you car (free of charge!).  Jimmy and I had our 65 GS's there and a fellow showed up with a nice 64 with a 455 four speed.  A nice 65 Riv was in the show area and I seen several 66 and 67's.  I didn't get to talk directly with the president of the BPG (he was busy) but I did talk with a couple other organizers that thought the 2015 event was an awesome idea and a 50th anniversary would be a no brainer.  I joined as a new member so I can start the messages with the BPG board to make this dream come true in a couple of years.  "Bobby Buick" was there and I watched him make a couple passes in his T-Type (a picture of him on the track and his time are below).  Bob scored a really nice chrome air cleaner for his 65 and it'll protect his dual quads.  I hung out until I noticed that Jimmy and Jan's cars were gone so I decided it was time to follow suit and hit the road myself. 

My car caught the eye of Jeff Yardley who is the editor of the "Build Sheet" which is the BPG newsletter.  Jeff interviewed me for an upcoming article which means a little more visibility for our 65's.  "Yardley" as he's called by the Buick gang, is the fellow that throws on the big cookout every year for the Buick crowd at his home in Pennsylvania. 

Chris
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:12:40 PM by Chris At 65GS »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »
Chris,

So sorry that I left before you returned, but my stomach got the best of me and we decided to hook up with our relatives for dinner.  Tom and I had a great time and I look forward to meeting up with you again.  I took quite a few photos, but the resolution and size is bigger than I can post here.  If you want to see them, I posted them to my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425448824171801.113653.100001200622651&type=3#!/media/set/?set=a.425448824171801.113653.100001200622651&type=1&notif_t=like

As you said, unfortunately our two cars were the only 65 Skylark Gran Sports that showed, but there was the 65 Riviera Gran Sport and a few nice 66-67's.  I was impressed by the 3 sport wagons, especially the red one doing 11 sec 1/4 mile times!

Great day - I'll be seeing you again.

Jimmy

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
Oh man. I saw both your cars Saturday, and tried to return whenever possible. Think I spoke with Jimmy when you arrived, if you remember a big guy who said he had two of them, that would have been me.  :occasion14:

Chris, I knew that was your car as soon as it came into my view. When you left, I was at the front gate working with Ken Lisk, who owns the concours Limemist, 71 GSX 4 speed, non stage car. I did return your departing wave. :hello: :hello:

The BPG chairman has been hearing from me about doing a 50th anniversary reunion featuring our 65's for at least a year now. Hasn't gotten sick of me yet, so that's a good sign! :icon_biggrin:

My 4 speed car made it as far as Cedar Rapids, IA where it was delivered to D & R Engines. They're 99% certain the ticking problem will be solved, as it appeared the push rods were defective. Not sure, nor do I care now where they were manufactured. Original parts supplier couldn't apologize enough for that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Bottom line is my car should be ready for me Monday!!! Once I'm home, a further update will follow.

Oh yes, I did meet Jan, and Rob (75 Riv on V8 and BPG) from the Netherlands. The original owners of Jan's 66 Wildcat, Barry and Phyllis wer also there, and I was able to facilitate their meeting (I hope) for the first time.  :hello2:

Yardley is a good dude, who will write an excellent article about your car. I did one about buying my 65 automatic car for the previous issue.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:10:33 PM by Mister T »
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
How does the BPG show compare to the GSCA show attendance wise ? Does it get any vendors ?

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline BuickGSrules

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
Chris, I am sorry we not met, I was around your car some times too. I was trying to see everything so I was alot around :laughing7:
We will see each other another time.

Dan, from my point of view, comparing the two events, there were more vendors and swap meet at the 2010 GSCA in BG. The guys that come to BPG every year said that there was fewer vendors/swappers this year.
Jan

1965 Gran Sport HT
1966 Wildcat 3 speed 1 of 23
1970 GS350 4 speed delete car