Author Topic: Is rotating tires much of an issue on a infrequently driven classic?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick tire caregivers,

I've still got to make up my mind on the tire upgrade for my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon.  The only uncertainty is whether or not to go with fatter tires on the rear.  I'm still not sure there is any advantage, but I'm pondering if there is any real disadvantage either.

If you have all 4 tires of the same size you can rotate them.  That's a good idea on a car that gets a lot of miles, but does it make much of a difference for a classic car that cannot be driven very many miles?  I promised Hagerty's I would not drive more than 2000 miles a year, and at the moment, I doubt I'll even get close to that.  So the limiting factor on tire life will be most likely aging that will occur even if the car isn't driven.  There is an article on the Hagerty website that suggests a limit of 8 years for tire life:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2014/03/21/shredded-tire

If you want a second opinion, there is this article from the TireRack.com that gives a life expectancy of around 6-10 years:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

So that's two similar numbers and is consistent with my own experience.  If you take the upper limit of 10 years, then you'll never put more than 20,000 miles on a tire when the tread life warranties run from 30,000 to 100,000 miles.  As far as I can tell, a classic car will never wear out its tires so long as it is kept in good mechanical condition.

So as far as I can tell, so long as you keep your front end in good condition and well-aligned, you have essentially nothing to gain from rotating your tires.

What do you guy's think?  Am I overlooking something obvious?

Opinions solicited!!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. That still isn't a reason for different tires front and back, but it does at least make it plausible.

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
My unscientific opinion, rotating tires that won't see many miles is not necessary. If memory serves correctly, the idea of rotating your tires stems from expecting to drive over 12,000-15,000 per annum. This gave tires the opportunity to wear more evenly, thus prolonging the need to replace them. It was also more applicable to bias ply and the early radial tires.

It's doubtful I ever rotated my tires more than 3-4 times in the past 40+ years, and never in the last 25.

YMMV. :laughing7:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
I have worn out 2 sets of tires on our 'cuda. Going on the Power Tour seven years with it helped. When they start getting old you can always burn them off. The 'cuda is stock except for the wheels and a Hurst Line-Lock. Going to try and wear out a set on the 65! That said, I wouldn't bother rotating unless you already had them off like for checking the brakes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:59:18 PM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks! (Re: Rotating tires on a infrequently driven classic?)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
Dear Tom, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks, for confirming my suspicions!   :thumbsup: Now I need to decide if there really is any decent reason to have tires of different widths on my trusty wagon!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
One reason is it looks tough!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
And that might be the reason! (Re: Rotating tires on a classic?)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
Dear Jim and mid-60s Buick "keeping up with appearances" types!  :laughing7:

One reason is it looks tough!

And you know what, . . . that might be all the reason I need!  :laughing7:

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Maybe I should rotate mine. My rear tires seem to wear much faster than the fronts.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Too much lead? (Re: Rotating tires on a infrequently driven classic?)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick "precision machine operators" . . . . .  :laughing7:

Maybe I should rotate mine. My rear tires seem to wear much faster than the fronts.

. . . Hmm, If I had to make a guess the problem isn't in the tires but in the lead to be located between your foot and  . . . . the accelerator pedal!! 

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!

. . . Hmm, If I had to make a guess the problem isn't in the tires but in the lead to be located between your foot and  . . . . the accelerator pedal!! 

[/quote]

You may be on to something Edouard. I think I may have discovered a direct correlation between horsepower, torque and tire wear. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
Kevin, I do believe that Edouard has hit on something. I have ridden with you.
Glenn
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140