Author Topic: Posting Safety Tip  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Posting Safety Tip
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

There are no rules against this however I'm going to suggest that for your protection, please don't post your address, phone number and especially your email address directly into a posting.  There are guys out there that write programs called "spiders" that locate this kind of information and uses it for spamming and other illegeal activity.

A good way to protect yourself is always use the Private Message feature and send your information directly to the other members, that way it's always between you and the reciever.  When sent this way, not even the admins have access to these messages unless they are included on the send list).

If you'd like, I can go back and clean this information out of the posting or if you was the member who posted it you can delete it also.  Just let me know if you need any help.

I just want to see everyone remain safe and unhassled by the bad guys.  :wave:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Posting Safety Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
Chris,
  That's some very good advice.  It's sad to think that we have to be so protective of that sort of info.
  I for one hadn't given any thought about someone outside of the forum, being able to retrieve info from a forum site .
  Hopefully those that have put that info into a reply will take their own time to remove it.
Thanks for your concern,
Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Posting Safety Tip
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
Loren,

I've always left guest access on for those who want to follow the threads but not really interested in posting and I'd considered turning it off several times to improve the security here. Unfortunately, leaving the guest access on is also required for the "good spiders" that search engines like Google and Yahoo use. It's these good spiders that collect topic information which appears as search results and brings new members.    

It's sad that there are people out there always trying to screw good people only.   :angryfire:

Let's keep our fingers crossed, so far we've not had any known security incidents and hopefully it stays that way for a long time.   :icon_thumright:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2